Hunting The Woods

fortitudine

Greenie
Oct 8, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Looking for some advice from folks that frequently detect in the woods. Hopefully this thread can focus on general advice and suggestions for those that prefer to hunt in the woods

The area I hunt in has some wooded areas that would be easier to do than open land. It was settled in the early 1800's so I know there must be some good relics and coins out there. I'm wondering if you guys have any strategies for hunting in the woods where there are no foundations or other landmarks. Do you research areas of specific significance, focus on creeks and trails, or just stroll through until you get a tone? What say you?

Upvote 0

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that there is truth about old dwellings not having as much coins or silver because there wasn't much to begin with to lose. I have hunted old foundations more times then I can count and have bombed. I do better around older houses in the suburban areas then I do older shotgun homes out in the country or barns. Both my dad and my uncle grew up very poor in the country and they even told me that they really never had money to drop. They would get things such as an apple, orange and some nuts for Christmas presents if they were lucky.

Even though I "say" this above, I still think that all areas have potential. More then once, I have heard stories where farmers would hid their coins in jars in the barn under the horse manure, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread