Anyone Metal Detect in the Snow?

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
I think I saw that same video. I detect all year long. We don't get much snow in central Arkansas when it does it melts in a day or two. But I have tried no luck.

GOD BLESS!!!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't mind the snow, but once the ground freezes, and you cant recover anything its pointless. Of course more than an inch or 2 makes swinging tough

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would but on ew e get snow here the ground is usually frozen.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its not a blizzard outside im out year round, I mean think about If ur looking for coins,jewlery items of that nature parking lots snow banks the plows really comb the parking lots for u & then u run ur coil over the side of a pile of snow much easier then goin a parking lot, with all the clothes,gloves,people wear,& then u get out of the hot car when u got in it cold with all ur winter jackets on u pop out ur car throw ur stuff on someones bound to drop something. Last year I returned a nice womens gold braclet I had found in a parking lot it was a family airloom I got a nice reward for finding it made mine & her day

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt all year. I Hit the woods when the ground freezes and you can still dig. The snow makes it easy to grid also.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hunt year round here in Roswell, too. It is a bit cold sometimes, but the ground stay fairly soft. We do get snow, but it's usually not deep enough to cause any problems swinging. One thing for sure, the park are empty except for the runners.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done some snow detecting on sled hills and in mall parking lots where they push the snow when they clear the lots. I found a few coins and usually bills near the fenced edges. It beats ice fishing for excitement or following the ole lady in dress shops.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't get any snow where I live but we do near by up in the mountains. The only time I hunt in it is when someone calls me to do a "lost item recovery". Otherwise, I don't hunt the snow as it's no fun in my book, so I stick to the warmer climate close to home.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done it too. Sometimes the ground is only frozen an inch or two, and still soft underneath, although muddy. This situation in a light snowfall would be OK. Swinging over more than a few inches of snow, and digging in ground frozen more than an inch or two would only result in frustration (for me anyway). Your mileage may vary...

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have detected in the snow but that was this year when my metal detector was brand new and I was so stoked to get out detecting to try it out. As I remember I didn't find much at a central location where lots of people unload snow machines for rides during the winter where there is a ton of activity. I thought for sure I would find all kind of treasure there like dropped coins and other valuables. Not.

They built so many fires and then threw the aluminum cans in the fires so the all melted into little globs of aluminum. Then to put the fires out they scatter the coals and the aluminum globs all over the place so it was almost impossible to detect. Now that I have my first year in metal detecting and the newness has worn off some I doubt I will be doing any more detecting in the snow but you never know as winter lasts 6 months here and I may go nuts if I can't detect for that long.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
What's snow?

rasp1.gif

Yeee-haaaaa! Florida sun!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys have a different kind of snow.......it travels up I 95 every day! :laughing7:

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting a chill reading this thread....brrr

Luckystiff

May 28, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would if I could but that Jack Hammer is Really Heavy logging around.Here in Maine I would have to go through 2' of frozen ground and 2' of snow.No I'M GOOD THANKS.:coffee2:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Winter season is my favorite. I mainly hunt civil war relics so hunting in the woods is much easier (no bugs, snakes, etc...)Plus in the woods you can get out of the weather. I have hunted several times in the snow. Last year I took my machine back to Kansas to visit my dad. There is one spot where I have found tons of Indian Head pennies and silver. This place has no clad what so ever so when you get a coin signal it usually is good. Well last year we hit the same spot only the temperature was in the teens, snowing and the wind was blowing. Already had 4" on the ground but I was digging coins like crazy. The snow kept the ground pretty moist and was not frozen. I don't let a little white stuff keep me from digging. We don't get much here in Tennessee but when we do we can still hunt as long as the roads are not too bad to travel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread