SDBob

Jun 11, 2013
SE South Dakota
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ5, Tesero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon folks,
I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions for me.
My wife and I are going to escape the South Dakota winter and enjoy some sun and fun in Largo Florida. We plan to be there for Jan and Feb for sure and was wondering if there are places to detect nearby. I don't want to step on toes, I'm sure things are done differently in FL, not a lot of beaches here in SD:unhappysmiley:
Are most public beaches in FL MD friendly? Is it first come serve? Morning vs evening?
Thanks in advance

Bob

Upvote 0

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go detect where ever you want to. Don't worry about someone getting offended because you might be where they are.....hell, no one owns the beach or parks. It's free pickins. If they get mad....."oh well" it's their problem. Have a good time & good luck.

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had a problem on the Tampa area beaches. Try the Courtney Campbell causeway on the Clearwater side they have jet ski beach and on the Tampa side they have ben t Davis beach. I think the jet ski side would be better because those folks are more rowdy and they drink more there because it's technically not a beach.

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just moved from that area to Kentucky last year.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunt all the beach you want. Just don't go up into the dunes or dig around the sea oats. That is strictly not allowed. Basically from the toe of the Dunes till you drown is okay to hunt.

When in parks, check to make sure you are not in a State Park, rules a bit different there, like DeSoto park and such. Historical area, not allowed.

Some Churches will let you detect there, just promise to pick up all the trash. Private property, just get permission.

If you read through the Florida section you will see lot's more information.

Have a great vacation!

Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 7.14.22 AM.png

DON'T dig here

OP
OP
SDBob

SDBob

Jun 11, 2013
SE South Dakota
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ5, Tesero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I'd give a little update on our stay in Florida. I guess we picked a good time to be gone from South Dakota/MN for a few months huh :laughing7:
We got here Jan 1st and will be heading back to the tundra the first part of March. I don't get out detecting every day but whenever we hit a new beach, I'm swinging the coil. My bucket list since I retired seems to be getting longer instead of shorter.....but I did get to cross off "metal detect on a Florida beach" :skullflag:
Here's a few pics of some of my finds. I scooped up a neat shell with my first Florida pull tab so my wife made me a little artsy fartsy keep sake. She hot glued my first pull tab, quarter, dime, nickle, penny, silver cross, 1/2 a silver ring, & beach sand.
Since that day I found other coins, small silver ring, 10k wedding band, 3 matchbox cars, an earring that I have to get checked out to see if the diamond is real, other misc stuff. The money clip had the dollar in it.......I was hoping it had a few more zeros.
We LOVE Florida and will be back next year escaping the Midwest winter!

001.JPG 002.JPG

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
HEY, quit taking our stuff!

Seriously, congrats on the loot. It looks like your off to a good start and enjoying the beach and it's hidden treasures.

Welcome to some great weather. My sis-in-law lives in ND... She's doing a lot of complaining.

Keep finding the great stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread