MDing and Crazy Dog Run-ins

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD'ing and Crazy Dog Run-ins

I was metal detecting about a year ago and a dog no bigger than a large bunny decided to charge me (out of nowhere) showing teeth and nobody was around to stop him. I raised my coil up and screamed "get the hell outta here!" and he did a 180 and took off never to be seen again. hehe :laughing7:

Now, I'm happy he wasn't a big dog, and I sometimes wonder what I would do if I did get confronted by a, say, 100 pound pit-bull that didn't like me being there. In my mind my Leshe digger plays a good role in my butt-kicking plan, but still, I don't really want to play that scene out. lol

Anyone have any dog stories to share?

Upvote 0

TexasRanger

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2013
Mount Pleasant, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how legal this is in other places but I sometimes carry a loaded pistol when I hunt. We have way too many wild hogs here in NE Texas and I just don't think anything involved in Treasure hunting would stop them. This is something that I do...I am not suggesting that everybody go out and purchase a horse pistol but...

The thought keeps running through my mind..."I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six".

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pippin will chime in soon and tell you all about it.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt Rob. ha ha

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How 'bout people? They can be far worse than dogs, although I'd hate to have to stick my Lesche into a dog neck. I was at Galveston about 30 feet into the water. No one on the beach, early morning. I don't know what made me turn around, but I looked towards the beach and there was a young male running full speed at me about 50 feet away. When he saw me I may have appeared younger than he thought, and or he saw my heavy stainless Nutall scoop, but he came to a screeching halt. He got a big grin on his face and started walking nonchalantly down the beach. He was going to body slam me and take all my stuff, I imagine. Head on a swivel.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Hey, that is why I always take a MD partner with me that I can outrun!
killingme.gif

OP
OP
M

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, people can be just as bad.... I live in metro Detroit, and even though I'm 6'2 300 pounds, there are some place I won't detect in due to gang activity.

I bought some pepper spray (30ft spray cans) to deal with the dogs once. I'm just too afraid the wind will push that stuff back on me leaving me blind and fighting a dog, lol.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea, people can be just as bad.... I live in metro Detroit, and even though I'm 6'2 300 pounds, there are some place I won't detect in due to gang activity.

I bought some pepper spray (30ft spray cans) to deal with the dogs once. I'm just too afraid the wind will push that stuff back on me leaving me blind and fighting a dog, lol.

I always thought of carrying a big juicy steak on my hunting trips. If the dog wants blood, he can have all he wants. He can even have the bone.

Where I live, you never know what language to use on a angry dog. Some only know Spanish, which I don‘t know.:BangHead:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a chocolate lab run over to me tail wagginh like crazy. After I petted him he thought he needed to help dig my hole. Lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have several dog beaches here in San Diego County and it's always interesting to hunt those beaches when people and their dogs are there. Most dogs ignore you more than their owners! Some dogs are real protective and will bark if you get anywhere near them. Still others want to play and chase your coil back and forth. Never been bit yet but some sure went nuts and it was all the owner could do to calm them down...not much different than the attitudes of the people you'll meet!

wcclower

Greenie
Oct 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neighbors Alsatians go nuts when I am out detecting around the house. I think the beeping plus me swinging the detector is to much. They chase the coil all over barking at it and me and will NOT stop! And these are 150 lb boys and girls and their bark is LOUD!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have more problems with people then dogs. Folks just butting in. Lately, I have been getting a lot of "do you have permission?" and usually they don't even know who the owner is, they just like to put there 2 cents in.

Biggest defense against a dog is just not to be afraid. I have considered carrying some mace or something like that just in case, but as long as you are not afraid you could probably advert a situation 99% of the time with a dog.

What I hate is having permission to hunt a house, and then the neighbor's "yappy dog" barking at me the whole time I am swinging. Perhaps some dog biscuits would be in order here or some tranquilizers, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread