How to clean gold ring covered in hard muck

ilovemycows

May 26, 2013
Joshua, Texas
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Garret Ace 250 (my son's), Garrett Pro Pointer(s)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually if it won't clean up with soap and water, it's not gold. I've found a few gold rings at the beach, that were buried for years, that had a crust built up on the ring but it would come right off with soap and water or a little rubbing with baking soda on a wet rag. An ultrasonic jewelry cleaner should take it off too.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it muck mud or oil/tar ball? If it's oil or tar, use baby oil to break it down.
Put a pic up, let us see it! Maybe a before and after. Good luck, too!

OP
OP
ilovemycows

ilovemycows

May 26, 2013
Joshua, Texas
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Garret Ace 250 (my son's), Garrett Pro Pointer(s)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad burn it! I finally got some more mud off of it and it says 14k gold FILLED! No wonder it won't clean properly. The inside looks just like gold but the outside is dark and crusty. Makes sense now that I know it's gold filled. Bummer.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happens to all of us! It's out there! Good luck and HH!

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dad burn it! I finally got some more mud off of it and it says 14k gold FILLED! No wonder it won't clean properly. The inside looks just like gold but the outside is dark and crusty. Makes sense now that I know it's gold filled. Bummer.

I hear you. The first Gold ring I found was stamped 14K GP. I was excited but it had a dark blackish crud on it that I couldn't get off easily.

Found out later 14K GP stands for 14K Gold Plated. I have found true 14K and 18K rings later on and they both look great.

HH,

Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread