Metal Detecting in Afghanistan.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was in Afghanistan for my last deployment.

Had some down time, and managed to find this little guy.

Soviet uniform button from their Cold War attempt to destroy the Mujahideen (1979-1989).

If you look real close, you can see the sickle and hammer on the star, with some gilt still visible.

The third photo shows the hole it came out of, to the right of the frame.

I thought it was a really unique detecting photo.

Attachments

• image-4291349488.png
    image-4291349488.png
    624.2 KB · Views: 286
  • image-2913566524.png
    image-2913566524.png
    339.5 KB · Views: 266
  • image-2080266949.png
    image-2080266949.png
    562.2 KB · Views: 309
Upvote 0

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very unique find!...I don't think many would have that in their 'collection' :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think I would have wanted to detect the base I was on in Iraq, we kept finding unexploded bombs from when we blew up their munitions bunkers. I did find an out of circulation Kuwaiti coin while walking through the desert in Kuwait though! Right on the surface.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would have loved to be able to do that when I was there. Just too many unexploded mines everywhere I went. I did get to tour an old fort though in Herat that was supposed to have been built by Khan or Alexander the great, I forgot which one. Would have loved to detected that place, who knows what coins I could have found or old bits of military hardware!

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would have loved to be able to do that when I was there. Just too many unexploded mines everywhere I went. I did get to tour an old fort though in Herat that was supposed to have been built by Khan or Alexander the great, I forgot which one. Would have loved to detected that place, who knows what coins I could have found or old bits of military hardware!

I hear ya on the mines and other UXO. The only reason I detected here was because the engineers had to move almost three feet of grade to lay the aircraft taxiway and ramps. Safe as can be after they were thru!

It's really funny ya mentioned Herat... This was actually in Shindand! Minutes apart!

Thanks for your service!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likewise bro!

Top Member Reactions