D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an ATP and love it I also have an Ace 250 and my grandson hunts with me a lot and sometimes his dad goes as well. It's no fun with two detectors and three people. So i am thinking an easy way for me to upgrade is buy one more and then I will have three detectors when all three of us go out there will be one for each of us...

I am wondering what a good step up from the ATP would be. I had no interest in upgrading until now so I haven't done any research. I don't want to go to the $2000 range but wondering what a good all around detector would be in the $1000 - $1500 range. I have detected with guys that have and e-trac and yes they do better than the ATP however I have never detected with anyone that had something else.

I know most guys are brand loyal and I think that is great but some of you have multiple detectors of different brands. I am wondering what would be the go to detector if a guy had like four different ones. I know they all have pluses and minuses but for example if an ATP is in the top 3 of midrange detectors what detectors would be in the top three of the next level of detectors.

I am not concerned to much about depth because my ATP will signal targets in 8" range frequently and the 10" on occasion. I am more concerned about accurate target ID.

Upvote 0

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not personally have this but saw on the Garrett website the Garrett GTI 2500 has good results. And for a little over $1,000, it performs pretty well.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Personally I wouldn't spend over $1000 on a detector.
I've owned both a Minelab Explorer SE & a Garrett GTI 2500, plus used an E-Trac for a week and my $550 Outlaw gets the same results as those machines and is a lot more fun.

OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not unhappy with my ATP it's just that if i get another detector I think I may want to try one that is supposedly a bit better. I know there is not a detector made that will eliminate all the trash but with my ATP I have learned it well enough to pass on 90% of the trash. I dig a lot anyway just to confirm I was right and never found anything that wasn't trash when I thought it was. I would like to stay under $1500 and preferably in the $1000 to $1300 range

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinión well the 2 higher end ones ive got there just endless things to do with each & well worth evrty penny for both the v3i & the deus xp im sure If u search around u mayb able to find either in the range ur looking at

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I would like to stay under $1500 and preferably in the $1000 to $1300 range

If you know your Pro inside out and it isn't for you, for that range of $$ there's the Whites VX3, MXT Pro, Fisher F75. I've personally never used those machines but have heard good things about them. I was really disappointed in my GTI 2500 and my Explorer SE was good. But I love Tesoro's now and imo they have the best discrimination out there. Super light and no display for an awesome price.
I plan on getting 3 machines over the winter. AT Gold, Tesoro Tejon & Tiger Shark for fresh water diving.

Just keep getting other peoples advise and watch lots of YouTube videos of different machines.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the higher end units have distinct advantages, if you know how to capitalize on them. I don't seem to have any issues hunting under power lines with the ETrac, and, if set up properly, you have the right coil and go slow enough, it can eek out just about anything. The V3i can tell me as much as I could want to know about a target...much more than most detectors, user willing. By that I mean really getting to know what is useful and taking the time to use the features prior to digging. I don't always take the time, but in some locations/conditions, the fewer holes, the better. Other times, of course, dig it all. I think the higher end units are worth it, but, in the end, it's the user not the machine that determines success.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the higher end units have distinct advantages, if you know how to capitalize on them. I don't seem to have any issues hunting under power lines with the ETrac, and, if set up properly, you have the right coil and go slow enough, it can eek out just about anything. The V3i can tell me as much as I could want to know about a target...much more than most detectors, user willing. By that I mean really getting to know what is useful and taking the time to use the features prior to digging. I don't always take the time, but in some locations/conditions, the fewer holes, the better. Other times, of course, dig it all. I think the higher end units are worth it, but, in the end, it's the user not the machine that determines success.

Well said,I mean all true what uv said the higher end machines are well worth it but u have to put the time in to know how to use them & what there functions actually do, If u dont ull get discouraged & think u got a lemon when in reality u need more time to learn it

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my humble, slightly prejudiced opinion, but I'd go with any version of Whites MXT, preferably the Pro, but the standard first model is just as good, but lacks some of the bells and whistles.
luvsdux

OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really appreciate everyones input. That's what I like about TNET most everyone gives and honest and unbiased opinion. I love the challenge of learning my detector and laughing at myself over the frustrations when I have got a new one to learn. I started with an old radio shack detector about 10 yrs ago but rarely used it because I never took the time to learn it. Actually it gave the ACE 250 a run for it's money once i understood it.

I am up for a new challenge and need to do lots of research. I am considering the the spectra v3i and the E-trac but will asses all others in that class of detectors as well.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a hard look at a DEUS than give Jeremy at VANCE DETECTING a call. You won't be disappointed!!!!!! HH

-Taz-

Mar 28, 2013
Island on the west coast
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deus is an awsome machine (don´t have it my self) and all the serious detectors in these parts have one. 100% wireless, and just excellent in all matters...except price :tongue3: $1.900,- (ouch!)

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus is an awsome machine (don´t have it my self) and all the serious detectors in these parts have one. 100% wireless, and just excellent in all matters...except price :tongue3: $1.900,- (ouch!)

CALL JEREMY!!!

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard people getting deals on the xp deus from $1300-$1500. If your tech/software savy then I'd jump on that one. I would if I could. so light, wireless, program upgradeable... hearing great things about it.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard people getting deals on the xp deus from $1300-$1500. If your tech/software savy then I'd jump on that one. I would if I could. so light, wireless, program upgradeable... hearing great things about it.

Oh ya its an awesome machine

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FISHER F2 with a 11' DD coil
:hello2:

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The White's V3i, Etrac, and Deus would be the most likely contenders in my opinion. I hunt with a T2 as my primary which lacks a few of the bells and whistles of the F75 but are very similar machines (Same company different label). They are not as expensive as the others, and seem to be a bit less popular, but are noted to be depth demons so wouldn't rule them out. If I had to say which one I would trust for consistent quality control I would give the thumbs-up to Whites. I think any of the machines would serve you well, just investigate what features mean the most to the primary type of hunting you do. Amazing how different the personalities are with some. Gotta go a bit slower with the Etrac and the T2/F75 actually perform better with a faster sweep (boost and cache modes like a slower sweep though). T2/F75 are really chatty and don't like areas with strong EMI, yet do really well in heavy trash and will go deeper with a 5 inch (which by the way comes with the SE version) than many mid priced machines will with a 10. Lots to think about. And last but not least, the Tesoro machines may not be in the same price range but have sent a many a user of the high end machines home with hurt feelings. A good mid priced machine with an experienced user will trump the latest and greatest machine on the market nearly every time with a lesser experienced user. Good luck and HH.

PS..... guess I just added to the confusion, ha ha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread