New to site, waiting for my first machine to arrive is killing me!

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000/Detech 13" Ultimate DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

I've been reading all over the metal detecting forums, and looking at a lot of your finds! I'm new to this hobby but have been interested in it for years. I honestly was sitting here reading posts the other day when I thought "why haven't you bought a MD yet?, go look at some and buy one!" So I did! I decided on the "Teknetics gamma 6000" and also a Garrett Pro-Pointer. I figure I can always upgrade from here if my choices aren't cutting it for me as I get more knowledgable and experienced in the field. They should both be here within a week. The problem I'm having is, I CANT SIT HERE AND READ ALL THIS AND NOT BE OUT DOING IT!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I'm so excited about getting out there and seeing what I come up with. I live In a farming county that has had a population explosion the past 20 years, surrounded by a 1,000 miles of delta water ways and farming land. I'm 40 minutes away from the mountains and 40 minutes away from the ocean. I'm about an hour south of Sacramento. I look forward to posting my own treasures here on this site. I'll apologize now for my future "dumb questions" because I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of them. :laughing7: :laughing7: everyone seems very friendly and educated in metal detecting here and I'm looking forward to picking all your brains for ideas and suggestions on tools of the trade. Thanks for allowing me into your world. I look forward to being apart of your community. Take care, Bill

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME AND GOOD LUCK :icon_thumleft:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to a great hobby. One thing to keep in mind is that thousands of people read these boards, and while there are a few who regularly have outstanding finds to post, for many of us, the good stuff is few and far behind. So don't get discouraged and enjoy the hunting experience.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice choice for machine best thing learn it all u can by all means Internet vids,forums soon ull be chasing down the mail truck befor u know it, I know cuz I do it each time lol good luck & welcone to the hobby research ur sites,pesen the machine & the finds will show hh

OP
OP
Garbagebill

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies! Yeah I understand about finds being far and few in between. I don't discourage easy and it's just the thought that maybe, just maybe "I'll find a silver this time out" will always keep me going. I've got a back yard I'm sure is so full of junk metals that it will be a good place to learn more about how my MD and get a feel for its settings and readings. I do look forward to searching my mothers property which was built in 1900 and is pretty close to the center of town (I think 4 blocks from dead center) and was traveled heavy on back in the day. I'm a couple years from retirement and it will give me something to spend my days on lol I'm a garbage man so I'm off before noon everyday as it is so I plan on spending a lot of time enjoying this hobby. Thanks for the welcome. Happy hunting!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mare veery lucky to. Be starting out with a good detector that you can learn... Later if you feel that you want to get a new detector you can order from Bart of BIG boys hobbies.. He'll beat any deal. Are you a subscriber to Western. And Eastern Treasures magazine..? Great reading there.

Sent by SANDMAN

OP
OP
Garbagebill

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks sandman,

I'll remember to order from Bart from Big boys hobbies, my youngest son is thinking about getting himself a metal detector and when he has time going with me on weekends, when he does I'll make sure he orders from Bart. And I'm not a subscriber to W&E treasures but I'll definitely look into it, thanks for replying HH

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby Bill!! The Gamma is a good choice for a first machine, especially if it has the 11" DD coil. ENJOY!!!

OP
OP
Garbagebill

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the hobby Bill!! The Gamma is a good choice for a first machine, especially if it has the 11" DD coil. ENJOY!!!

Don't have the 11"DD yet, but I guess that will be the next purchase.

What's the overall consensus on disk cover? Yes, no, each persons preference?

X_Marks_Spot

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Garrett, Fisher, White's, Bounty Hunter, Tesoro, Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you got the perfect lay out and a great unit. You have any questions please don't hesitate in contacting me. Welcome to the family. Remember it's all about the thrill of the hunt.

OP
OP
Garbagebill

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you got the perfect lay out and a great unit. You have any questions please don't hesitate in contacting me. Welcome to the family. Remember it's all about the thrill of the hunt.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the weeks to come. I seriously can't wait to get out there. I'm not expecting to find all kinds of rare coins and I'm sure I'll go out and get skunked too. But I'm going to enjoy it, just thinking "what could be out there" is exciting.
I can't wait! I should have overnighted it lol

OP
OP
Garbagebill

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By all means, get yourself a coil cover. It allows you to get as close to the ground as you can with no worry about scratching your coil. You never know when there will be rocks, bottles and metal scraps popping out of the soil and they Can wreck your coil pretty fast. No worries when you have a coil cover on. You need to take it off periodically because fine sand gets in, but it's no bother to do that.

your potential search properties sound like great places to search! Good luck!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks sandman,

I'll remember to order from Bart from Big boys hobbies, my youngest son is thinking about getting himself a metal detector and when he has time going with me on weekends, when he does I'll make sure he orders from Bart. And I'm not a subscriber to W&E treasures but I'll definitely look into it, thanks for replying HH
Holler anytime!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread