Dumb people that have detectors

Oldbuttplate

Oct 18, 2013
East Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT. It was free. Still works good.
Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Common sense seems to be very low with some in this hobby. Not much one can do but try and point out that what their doing makes us all look bad.
On my way home I drive by a very old grave yard it's on the historical register list. To day I see a guy with his metal detector in it, now the bad part , he has a Shovel! What the crap is with some people. By the time I was able to get back and in he was gone. I hope I never see that again. It's city property and I can just see the repercussions.

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common sense is very uncommon in most of the populace!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless your on private property with permission no one should be using a shovel. If you need a shovel it probably isn't worth digging. The cemetery thing I can go either way with. There is nothing scared about a cemetery. Anytime between the present and 500 years from now the cemetery will be moved for a road or the archaeologists will be digging people up. There is no final resting place in this world. The Egyptians learned that.

I won't dig one out of respect to those that have loved ones buried there and it would sure make you feel bad if they thought you were a grave robber.

I have been asked to hunt a civil war cemetery by a historical club. I haven't been there yet. The site was also an encampment during the civil war. They are wanting buttons or relics for the historical society and museum.

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having worked in and around Law Enforcement for almost three decades I can honestly say that what we call "common sense" is a pretty rare commodity. If people would just take the time to think about their actions and follow the golden rule of treating others the way they would like to be treated.

As far as digging grave yards - I was thinking about Norms comment - he's right of course. We think nothing of excavating (looting) ancient tombs ~ so when does it become ok to dig a grave site after a 100, 200, or 500 years? I don't know that I would dig any but that's just me. A lot of what we know about ancient cultures comes from some of these sites.

We have a lot of old cemeteries around and I have thought about searching the areas around them where old churches may have once existed or people at funerals may have lost things. But I have NEVER considered digging inside those cemeteries. It is just bad form and likely to have repercussions to the whole hobby.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys sounds like an idiot....I wouldnt think twice of hiiting a graveyard,,,,Sure, you MIGHT find a silver coin or so....But its just not cool taking a shovel in the graveyard. Hell i have caught shiii for just taking pictures in the gravesites

OP
OP
O

Oldbuttplate

Oct 18, 2013
East Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well after think about it, I came to the conclusion I expect to much out of the population. What upset me the most was The shovel. This cemetery is still active and as I said it is City property now, the repercussions of that behavior could put an end to detecting on any property the city of owns. I like others stay out do to the respect I have to the loved ones that have Family there. We have a archaeologist in this town that hates any type of private metal detecting and she needs no help from a dumb a•• any time a law comes up for or against detecting she is there.
I'm over my rant now.
If I see him again I will make a point of telling him about it.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have all these wonderful shows to thank for morons like this.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the guy that everybody thinks is dumb, works there and is looking for sprinkler heads or flat metal head stones that has been buried.

After all, oldbuttplate said he was driving by. He didn’t say he stopped and watched.

Now days everybody thinks the worst without knowing the facts.

OP
OP
O

Oldbuttplate

Oct 18, 2013
East Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the guy that everybody thinks is dumb, works there and is looking for sprinkler heads or flat metal head stones that has been buried. After all, oldbuttplate said he was driving by. He didn’t say he stopped and watched. Now days everybody thinks the worst without knowing the facts.
No he is not one of the staff that works there. They all have uniform work clothes and city trucks. I know most of them that work there, I just live two blocks from it. But I could hope that I'm Wrong.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that guy filled any holes he dug, and why does he need a shovel is this graveyard very old as in artifact old? Doubt the city gave him a free pass to dig on heir property. I guess all metal detectors sold now will have to have common sense rules painted on the control box, with an electric shock mode if you don't comply. I'd like to search a grave yard but I won't, personal choice.
Cactusrst, it's true we don't know what the guy is doing there , but neither does anybody else driving by, including the city council woman that has it in for detector users! There in lies the problem, appearance . And ya we should never "assume" but being human we do it all the time! I'll stop ranting now, I'll leave the soap box right here for the next person. Sorry If I offended anyone.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after think about it, I came to the conclusion I expect to much out of the population. What upset me the most was The shovel. This cemetery is still active and as I said it is City property now, the repercussions of that behavior could put an end to detecting on any property the city of owns. I like others stay out do to the respect I have to the loved ones that have Family there. We have a archaeologist in this town that hates any type of private metal detecting and she needs no help from a dumb a•• any time a law comes up for or against detecting she is there.
I'm over my rant now.
If I see him again I will make a point of telling him about it.

Wait...its an ACTIVE Graveyard???

Thats a whole different situation...besides the TRESPASSING..it seems liek that would be some sort of Tampering charge too....wow an IDIOT!!

Yea, Its sad to think there are people like this out there

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, same with deer hunting. I often use a shovel in the woods and fields but NEVER leave an open hole. I even break up the clods and in the woods try to recover with leaves etc. The land owner that owns the field I found the Jackson Victory buttons has commented on a couple of occasions that while cutting hay etc. he actually looked to make sure I covered my holes as promised and has never found a trace. Another thing that kills me are the people who assume if a home is abandoned that it will just be OK to hunt it. If you do not have permission your :censored: doesn't belong on the property. That includes scouting it to see if you want to hunt it. Just my 2 cents. It has always amazed me that a handful do so much damage for the rest of us. I certainly do not blame a landowner as I have personally found wrappers and cans etc after allowing people to fish my pond. Idiots.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I obviously live in Cincinnati Ohio. Detecting here has rules n regs that are fair. Just obtain permits for city and county parks. But we have a few places that don't require permits. One is Newport Ky, just across the Ohio river. Since the 70s a huge fireworks display that 500,000+ attend annually occurs. Half of these people view the display sitting on the 65ft high flood wall in Newport Ky. It's constructed of grass covered dirt. Over the years, many have lost valuable items which we continually find. We leave no traces of diggin here as we don't want permission denied.
Last year, we viewed another detectorist in the distance and naturally want to introduce ourselves. The dude split once he saw us? We arrive upon his spot and see why. It looked like carpet bombing had occurred.
Another extreme example of damage here is Hamilton Oh. Not in a single park may a metal detector be used! And I can't blame the parks system!? As@hol@s that don't care are to blame!!! I have repeatedly contacted Hamilton's Park Authority to plead my case. The response thus far is a firm NO! Again, this is because of prior damage.
It stands true that the masses are persecuted from the actions of a few!?
Peace

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stay clear of them all together. First off, I don't know why it's called common sense. Should be not so common sense. It comes to greed with this guy detecting there. Others who lack common sense, I would have to say are those who dont care or are the ones who feel they are entitled. I m talking in general not just detecting.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monkey see , monkey do. My apologies to all the monkeys out there. I got some twerp following me around to all my spots. I get good leads from close friends and next thing I hear some guy was seen the next day. I dont know what kind of tin foil hat this guy has, but I have found shovel sized holes left and had to fill them in. The parks guys knows me, thank goodness no one has got upset and gave us the boot on the city parks. When I go out side of town and find a old camp, it just po's me when someone jacks it before I can work it. Yes they use shovels on the reality shows, yes some folks arent comfortable in the city parks so they trespass on private property. If your new just remember the number one rule, have permission first, and please fill your holes.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monkey see , monkey do. My apologies to all the monkeys out there. I got some twerp following me around to all my spots. I get good leads from close friends and next thing I hear some guy was seen the next day. I dont know what kind of tin foil hat this guy has, but I have found shovel sized holes left and had to fill them in. The parks guys knows me, thank goodness no one has got upset and gave us the boot on the city parks. When I go out side of town and find a old camp, it just po's me when someone jacks it before I can work it. Yes they use shovels on the reality shows, yes some folks arent comfortable in the city parks so they trespass on private property. If your new just remember the number one rule, have permission first, and please fill your holes.[/QUOTE

Technology has made people dumber then 100 years ago. Anymore if a computer or a phone doesn't tell them no, then they do it. I hunt the local parks alot until I get a better detector, don't want to use my private passes just to miss a bunch. Anyways went to a park to hunt by the pool and the next day went back someone with a shovel had been there digging strip mines. I seem him the other day and at the same park and he wasnt interested in this hobby. You could tell by watching him, another TV show follower I suspect and guess what with his shovel in hand. I use a old kitchen knife that the handle broke off, fits nicely in my back pocket and cuts the turf nicely. Now I've learned to probe for the coin like a alien on a redneck lol.

Why do they need shovels anyways? Is that penny that large? Yes sometime I dig deep but I and I'm sure alot of you cut a nice plug, dig the soil them pack it all nicely back in and fluff the grass after. If you need a shovel to dig because you can't bend over to do it then how are you sifting the dirt and picking your find up outta the bottom of that hole? And that's not towards you older guys some of you just can't get down there anymore. It's these young guys like me in talking about. Quit being lazy!!!! Get your hands dirty! Good luck everyone and have a great holiday.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Common sense seems to be very low with some in this hobby. Not much one can do but try and point out that what their doing makes us all look bad.
On my way home I drive by a very old grave yard it's on the historical register list. To day I see a guy with his metal detector in it, now the bad part , he has a Shovel! What the crap is with some people. By the time I was able to get back and in he was gone. I hope I never see that again. It's city property and I can just see the repercussions.

lol

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do they need shovels anyways? Is that penny that large? Yes sometime I dig deep but I and I'm sure alot of you cut a nice plug, dig the soil them pack it all nicely back in and fluff the grass after. If you need a shovel to dig because you can't bend over to do it then how are you sifting the dirt and picking your find up outta the bottom of that hole? And that's not towards you older guys some of you just can't get down there anymore. It's these young guys like me in talking about. Quit being lazy!!!! Get your hands dirty! Good luck everyone and have a great holiday.

It really depends on the soil. In my yard (600 foot by 700 foot) it is either sandy or clay, (sand mixed with clay make concrete). The sandy areas can be dug with a plastic garden hand shovel. In the clay areas, a grubbing hoe (pick) is need to make a two inch deep hole.

As for as making a nice cut plug, it’s not going to happen.

Adding moisture doesn’t help. The sand still crumbles. In the clay will hold together, but you still have to brake it apart to get a target out of it.

On top of all that, there is no “grass” growing, just bare dirt due to the drought we are in, to help hold a plug together.

There are times and places that using a shovel is okay. When I finish digging a hole with a large shovel, you can’t tell where I dug from the ground right next to it.

Yes, I go threw a lot of trouble in filling in my holes to make them so you can’t tell that they are there in my yard. I’m the one who has to push a mower over them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions