Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All.

Im sure this is probally the 100th post asking about this, But I wanted a "fresh" perspective on it (lazy)

I was curious how you guys turn in your scraps?...do you clean it fairly well?...and Seperate it?

I have about 4+ years of Copper and Brass im ready to dump, and was curious what way would be the most profitable.

Someone told me last year about selling it on Ebay to get the top money out of it, which i thought was BS, but then saw people actually selling it?

Sorry to ramble....Any thoughts?....Ive actually never been to a"scrap" yard or anything.

Upvote 0

sperry2487

Sep 19, 2013
Hi I'm pretty new to metal detecting but scraping metal is something I've done with my dad since I was a kid if you have a good amount of brass and copper I would clean it the best you can with out braking your back over it and yes separate it! if you dont they most likely won't do it for you and give you the brass price for all of it or even just scrap tin witch is close to nothing, now I have yet to turn in any scrap I found MDing so maybe some one can give you a better in site but I would definitely separate it that I can tell you for a fact

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been trolling around ebay and see alot of scrap for sale so you can try. But best bet is go to your local recycling center and ask where they sell their metal to. They might only be a little ways away and you can go there. Like here our town sells to mill iron metals, you go to the center they give .55 a pound for cans, mill iron .85 a pound. Copper is 85 for wire and 2.54 at mill iron. And only 15 minutes away. So a little questioning is well worry it. The brass you gotta watch it there's a few different kinds of brass and all places have different classification for it and even copper. But you problay knew that already lol. Like I said find the hubs for your area and go there way better price.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
scrapping is just as addictive as metal detecting, it is for me any way i never pass up scrap metal of any kind, when i have enough i take it to the scrap yards at the houston shipyards, top dollar im tellin ya, and yes definitly seperate

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Make sure the stuff is dirt free. Take a file to each and every piece and separate them into three groups yellow brass, red brass and copper. Know the weights and spot price. You will get top dollar this way.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys!..Thanks for the info...I have been saving this stuff for a few years and wanted to make it worth my while!

Thanks for the links too NickleandDime!

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just did this last Saturday. Was recycling aluminum cans and asked if they take small junk like I had, 30 lbs of mix steel, iron, aluminum from parks and farm fields. They would but such a small amount, mixed together, and still with dirt clinging to bigger rusty pieces, they called it category 1 scrap. got $2 for bucket worth. Next time I'll do minor cleaning and then sort and save up for worth while trip to scrap yard. May as well make a buck off it, right?

P.S. telling the guy how I got the junk while metal detecting, another farm owner told me he has property that had old farm torn down and was welcome to come and detect or "clean" his fields! LOL he said those large pieces can cut or puncture tractor tires and damage equipment.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck I would separate it and take it to a local scrap dealer. Probably get fair prices and don't have to mess with the ebay crap.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I do. Just basic sorting, no messing around cleaning, cashed in almost $20 the other day, pull tabs and all !:laughing7:
Heck I would separate it and take it to a local scrap dealer. Probably get fair prices and don't have to mess with the ebay crap.

Last edited:

Paes

Tenderfoot
Nov 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper and brass are actually worth quite a lot in the scrap market. You can check the current rates online. You’ll get a rough idea about the rates they go at. I’d suggest you sell metal scrap at an authorized scrap metal dealer like SIMS center in your city. They will give you a fair deal for your metal scrap. You can also request a quote on their website http://us.simsmm.com/ if you know the type and quantity of material you’re looking to sell, which I assume you do. And yes, my advise would be to separate it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions