A question for all you smart people

JPancho

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2005
Augusta, GA
I'm new to MDing and I had a weird find today. I live in Augusta, GA and was out in my back yard this morning with a use 5900 I just got a few days ago. I was running in GEB/DISC mode and had a strong signal in the nickel range at about 5". Now the soil is a thin topsoil then about 2" to 3" of sand then kinda reddish clay after that. Well I dug and found nothing so I checked out my pile of removed soil to see if my target was there. Here I found a "metallic" rock about 1.5" long, .75" wide and .5" thick. This rock was giving me a real strong signal and looked kinda like iron ore with crystalline flakes on it. I check to see if was iron by trying to stick it to a magnate, but it didn't. Any ideas what I have? Also, my 5900 seems to say things are deeper than they really are, and yes I am using preset settings. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Howdy JP. I am not smart, or I would be wealthy! I am however, fat & happy in our little world of MDing. I do not know for sure just what you found, but someone on this forum will figure it out. Welcome to the forum & good luck. Keep swinging! Spotz

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello JPancho. Can you post a picture? It might help.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
About the depth--how high above ground level is your coil?That depth reading includes any air space between bottom of coil and the ground surface.

OP
OP
JPancho

JPancho

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2005
Augusta, GA
my coil is touching the ground, I'm wondering if I need to send my MD in for a tune up. Being a used machine, but new to me, I don't have anything to compare it to. (as in "it used to work like this, and now it works like this")

D

Darod

JPancho,

You need to talk with a user named, "Lab rat". This guy is really very impressive in terms of science and what your post deals with. Do a search on user names and see if you can Private message him. Ask him to post his response here on this posting so we can all hear what he has to say. He'll probably be able to tell you exactly what you have there.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Rod

Biggunshunter

Jan 25, 2005
North Augusta SC
Jpancho, I live in North Augusta and will occasionally get some of those same rocks if I am hunting in certain areas. But I don't know what they are other than aggrevating. They give the same signals like the rocks at the beach. Also be on the lookout looks like there's about to be some good hunting about to open up on the river on the Carolina side.

horseshoe

Greenie
Jan 31, 2005
southeastern ohio
Sounds like slag from a mine. Any in the area? They sometimes use it to pave rodes also. The first time I found one I thought it was a meteorite. I had hi hopes it was, they are worth money. I took it to the nearest colleges geography department they said it was slag but because of the way it looked it took them awhile and got a second opinion from their colleague. If it almost fooled them you can imagine how exited I was I live in Ohio and usually know slag when i see it. If in doubt try a local colleges geography department.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a similar "nugget" only bigger and the latest guess I got was "spanish silver". JIM

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the 'plug', Rod! Truth be known, spare time is elusive, and I tend to use mine swinging my detector rather than read all the posts-- they seem to get posted faster than I can read them! As for 'smart', I used to think that getting smarter would make me richer. (Well, it has, but not nearly to the extent I thought it would!)

As for the find that initiated this thread, a picture would help-- or at least some description of color. Is it gray? Yellow? Black? Silver? Also, how heavy is it? It almost sounds to me like a piece of lead, as a fishing sinker or bullet slug, but those wouldn't have crystals like you describe. Lead usually sounds off in the nickel range (of most machines, anyway-- I'm not familiar with yours specifically). Pyrite doesn't sound off at all, and the only iron ore I'm familiar with that would sound off would be magnetic. Slag is also a possibility, and is usually dark with a glassy, bubbly, or shiny surface. Slag usually has a weak iron signal, like a hot rock, but might have a stronger signal in the nickel range.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pancho, just for further clarification, my "object" is very heavy, much heavier than iron or steel yet is not attracted to a magnet. It is gray/black tarnished on the surface and bright shiney silver when the patina is removed. It appears to have a hint of gold sparkles on the shiney surface. It is much harder than lead but not as hard as iron or steel. It scratches somewhat with a sharp scribe and is easier to file than steel or iron. It also has no hint of rust. I said the last guess was spanish silver but I should have said, "Mexican Silver", or melted down Mexican silver coins. I have no interest in sellng it just want to keep it along with any of my future finds,. but I would like to find out for sure what it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread