Super low-tech Pinpointer mod

partenr

Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Washington State
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
This info is in another thread, but I think it deserves its own. I only say that because having a pinpointer has taken my fun/success factor form a 7 to a 10. And this a way to make a cheap pinpointer ($49) function pretty well. Cheapest I found was here:
http://www.telescopes.com/products/bounty-hunter-pinpointer-46717.html

Now, for the budget minded, I have shown a super-simple modification that resolves this cheapy units two shortcomings.

The battery cover is in the butt of the machine and it immediately began falling off. The rubber bands hold it on securely. Also, the sensitivity control, which needs to be set precisely, is WAY too easy to turn . It will require constant adjustment while you are carrying it and bumping it around. The rubber bands apply friction to the dial and keep it in place quite well. Using two rubber bands gives you a backup in case you break one. There ya go, $49, shipping, and two rubber bands! See pic below.

You can make fun of me for using a rubber band as a piece of machinery iffen you like.

Attachments

• PinPointer.jpg
    PinPointer.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 299
  • PinPointer.jpg
    PinPointer.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Ive commented on this pinpointer,It works,you have to touch the object 4 it to detect,i just can not understand,why do they continue to make these with the battery compartment falling off,I had to tape mine in place,an i went ahead and purchased a different pointer,Do not leave home without one.Ronald99 ???

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
I have this exact same model & I LOVE IT!!! I used electical tape on the cap, batteries last forever so problem solved! Ronald99, ive read yer comments & dont understand...........perhaps you have a defective unit. When adjusted to max sensetivity mine buzzes 2-3 inches from the target just like it is supposed to. I bought two different Bullseye2's & didnt get 2 months of use outa both of them before the switches went out on em.........paid over $100 each fer em. This pinpointer is far tougher than the bullseyes & half the price!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread