What is the best way to clean finds?

Matt1344

Dec 10, 2012
Huntington, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you guys suggest based on your experience?

Water only? Maybe a toothbrush? I know people have soaked clad coins in lemon juice and other concoctions.

What is the most trusted method for bringing out the best in a coin or other find without damaging it?

Have you ever noticed a clad quarter that's in bad shape seems to get even worse when water is run over it. Even after drying it almost seems a shade or two darker. Maybe it's just me.

My apologies if this is already posted somewhere.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a whole section here on Tnet for cleaning finds. I usually start out with warm soapy water and a soft bristled brush for most items. If it's a collectible coin, I might not use the brush. Clad coins just get a once over if they're not crusty and then into the local CoinStar machine. If they're crusty, they go into the rock tumbler along with gravel, laundry powder, and a little white vinegar. Tumble until the crust is gone and then they join their friends at CoinStar. Jewelry, relics, and other whats-its will depend on many things and are treated accordingly. Some things get a peroxide soak, others electrolysis, still others Evaporust.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread