Acidic soil and metal detectors?

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have learned that the province that I live in (BC Canada) has a very high acidic, acidity of soil. I know iron, and mineralised water can affect metal detecting. does the acidity of the soil fall into play?
Can soil be high in alkaline? And if so, does that matter at all?
My first time on the forum, so thanks for all your help!
Wishbone

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know highly alkaline soil can be a challenge for detectors, especially those without manual or true auto ground balance. One of the things that is a potential problem for desert prospecting. So, I wouldn't be surprised if High acidity might make a difference although I've never seen a reference to that specifically.
luvsdux

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply luvsdux. That's why I asked the question, I too have never found a metal detector site that has discussed it (so far). I really need some help because our claim...now get this, no lie...high in iron and minerals, acidic soil, mercury in the area and I'm told by a friend at work that has grand parents lived all their lives in my area and they say it's also radioactive...lol...why not just throw in some molten lava.
Take care.
Wishbone

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeeez, you sure you want to live there?? :laughing7: Usually, multi-frequency detectors work the best in bad ground, if you need discrimination. Otherwise, a PI unit should work fine too.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like the ground in question is a toxic cocktail to detectors and maybe humans as well. Detector wise I think Cudamark hit it well.
luvsdux

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean about the radiation, but it's the cell phone stuck to my ear all day that will probably get me...lol.
Take care.
Wishbone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread