Lets Talk Headphones.....

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Let's Talk Headphones.....

I use a Whites M6 as well as a Minelab Safari and do 90% of my detecting at the beach. While I usually spend countless hours researching machines before I buy one, I usually just grab a pair of $25.00 Sony headphones from Best Buy when I need some. They always seem to work just fine always thought "a beep is a beep so what's the big deal?"

Recently I was listening to a blog where the topic was "Equipment Modifications". There was a lot of time devoted to headphones .... A lot of time. There was actually enough discussion and information that I started to reconsider this once trivial subject.

I would like to hear what people here think. How important are they really?
What's the best brand?
Whites and Minelab both offer branded headphones, are they worthwhile?
Will an investment of $100.00+ in a pair of headphones specifically designed for metal detecting actually help increase my finds?

I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say : )

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UP to a point as you say "a beep is a beep" is true. However good quality headphones may help one hear the almost non-existent whispers of deep, almost undetectable coins etc. I've worked my way through a number of headphones and to me the less expensive $25 to $30 phones generally have sounded a bit fuzzy and hollow, but usable. The high end phones I've been using are Gray Ghost Originals and Gray Ghost Nugget Busters. To my ears these phones sound much cleaner, crisper and more focused or precise. (hard to describe sounds in print) They definitely seal out external sounds much better which is good in noisy locations. They are rather warm on hot days and are a bit tighter on my head than I'd prefer. The tone is a bit different than the cheaper phones as well, but I like it better after getting used to it. I haven't use Killer Bs or Sunray Gold and you'll get some opinions on them I'm sure. From what I've read on the forums over the last few years any of these phones do a good job - tone, comfort, fit etc. are personal preferences. You'll likely get a reply or two that plays down the more expensive phones as well, but after using them for a few seasons I much prefer them. Hope this is helpful.
luvsdux

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
It's all about matching the right set of headphone to the detector & to your hunting conditions, learning how to adjust the detector and understanding what they are tell you.

Killer Bees, Bushmasters, Black widows, Sunray Pro Golds, all of Detector Pro's, Jolly Rodgers, and the list goes on, except factor HP's, use Audiosears 2463 earphone (speakers)
So all sound very close to the same...........The only one that was different and now gone I believe were the Rat Phones, they used the Kobitone 25ce500 speakers.

Example of a good set of headphones matched to the right machine, I make a set of water proof headphones for the Minelab Excalibur, Skullies, they use the Audiosears 2463 speakers, 95% of Minelab Excalibur users have stock Koss headphones because they are hardwired to the detector, and the are close to the worse headphones made as are all stock HP's for water detectors. When I'm at the beach I will watch were other hunters are digging, they move on I jump in behind them, use there target lane to find targets they missed, they did not miss the targets because they were bad hunters, they just never heard them.

Good Luck with your Machines, Hope you find the right set for them....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN is correct (as always :thumbup: ), a good set of headphones will allow you to hear deep targets a cheap set want..

3%

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a decent set of Koss (audio quality) headphones for detecting.

But I'd never use them for MP3 listening.

Here's what I use:

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER?4? MicroPro Series

er4_800.jpg

Here's a typical review: [REVIEW] Etymotic ER4P / ER4S - The Living Legends

They'll set you back about 3 bills, but I can hear soft passages in classical music next to a running backhoe. They are simply the best there are for headsets. Great for air travel too.

I never thought about using them for detecting, but there's no reason not to. Come spring, I'll try them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Thanks everyone for your input! This is a decision that will be tough to make online. I never knew headphones were so important. I'm sure that there'll be more responses throughout the day. At this point it seems that my best move would be to go to Kellyco and try on the available pairs and see how they feel & sound as well as perform with my machine.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I compare a quality set of headphones to using a quality hook & line while fishing.
Without quality equipment between you and the target so you can feel and set the hook on a strike, or to be able to hear a deep quality item while swinging, you may as well stay home :)

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a decent set of Koss (audio quality) headphones for detecting.

But I'd never use them for MP3 listening.

Here's what I use:

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER?4? MicroPro Series

View attachment 927030

Here's a typical review: [REVIEW] Etymotic ER4P / ER4S - The Living Legends

They'll set you back about 3 bills, but I can hear soft passages in classical music next to a running backhoe. They are simply the best there are for headsets. Great for air travel too.

I never thought about using them for detecting, but there's no reason not to. Come spring, I'll try them.

I use a old set of the discontinued Etymonic ER6i for my MD with a home made volume control (2 25k multi turn pots wrapped in Epoxy ) to give me perfectly balanced sound at a low enough volume that it doesn't bow my brains out on an overload signal.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a old set of the discontinued Etymonic ER6i for my MD with a home made volume control (2 25k multi turn pots wrapped in Epoxy ) to give me perfectly balanced sound at a low enough volume that it doesn't bow my brains out on an overload signal.

How do you like them?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you like them?
They work great for MD. They block 30+ DB of outside noise and as such you do not need them turned up very loud to hear clearly.
The newer versions have heavier wires which is an improvement (I have a pair of HF2 for my phone) but they are not heavy duty like MD head phones wires. If you can stand to wear the big ear muff head phone I think they will hold up much better. If you can not stand the on your head, in-ear with a good volume control is the way to go..

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The real value in headphones is both comfort and the ability to cancel outside noise as much as possible. Metal detecting is all about hearing. Like photography is all about seeing.

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Thanks everyone for the input! After much research as well as the advice of some pretty successful treasure hunters, I just ordered a pair of Gray Ghost originals. They should be here Wednesday and I can hardly wait to hear what I've been missing! I appreciate you guys taking the time and giving me your opinions.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now after some situations got a metal detector now that hasn't come with wireless headphones & I've gotten quite used to not being tied down to my machine was using a v3i to a deus now using a xterra 705 & borrowed a friends headphones the tdk wr700 wireless ones plugged them right into the 705 work absolutly mint & now I'm back to my wireless not being tied down no lag sound is great trust me

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Many, many people think a beep is a beep and any head phones will do. Sounds logical but it's not true. Anyone who has said this and then tried a set of Killer B's or one of the other high quality headphones is always amazed at what they were missing. There may be exceptions but I haven't heard any. Spend the 100 bucks and get the most from your equipment. I found this out myself after many years of cheapies I bought a pair of Ratphones, unbelievable what I was missing.

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I am truly excited about my Gray Ghosts ....... Once again, its something that I never really gave much thought to, but after reading all of your responses I can't wait to get them..... with my luck, it will rain 7 days straight as soon as they arrive LOL

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny u say that about the rain that's been my luck 3 times in a row now but with snow when Id be planning to go out. Glad u got a nice pair of headphones for yourself get ready for a whole new experience its nice & the grey ghosts would be my pick aswell lots of great reviews good luck

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now after some situations got a metal detector now that hasn't come with wireless headphones & I've gotten quite used to not being tied down to my machine was using a v3i to a deus now using a xterra 705 & borrowed a friends headphones the tdk wr700 wireless ones plugged them right into the 705 work absolutly mint & now I'm back to my wireless not being tied down no lag sound is great trust me

I would like to try the TDK wr700's there does not seem to be alot of options for wireless headphones that I could find, and the TDK wr700 seem to have good reviews. Any recommendations on where to purchase?

Thanks

Scanman

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well as of buying them I don't have a lot of info on that I'm borrowing from a friend but I seen quite a few on old Ebay

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Ebay from 120.00 or Amazon for 146.00. thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread