Anyone using a NEL coil on thier AT Pro?

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to get some unbiased reviews of anyone who has ran a NEL coil on their AT Pro. Also anyone who has ran a NEL on ANY machine that can tell me anything about the quality, service, performance of their coil. Does it change the VID numbers? Tones? Pin pointing?
I am looking specifically at the "Big" coil but welcome any info on any of their coils.
Up until my AT Pro purchase I NEVER even spent $240 on a detector let alone a coil! :laughing7:
Thanks
Steve

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, that was a kind of technical stew of facts and and theories that should bewilder the average detectorist.
It's, as stated, is kind of a sales push for coil sales by Kellyco.
Think about this! Don't you think the designers of the detector know what works best in the way of a search coil for there detector And don't you think they want you to get the best performance from there detector? So why would they sell an inferior coil with there detector? Think about it!!! If you are not getting the performance you want from your detector, upgrade the detector, not the piece of wire coiled up below it. Because that is all that it is, a coil of wire!!! Jest trying to help the unsuspecting, Frank...-
Frankn … That was what i have always said also .. When a company makes a detector they match that detector with the best coil for it …. They want there detector's to work the best they can … So to do that they will put the best coil with that detector..

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about it!!! If you are not getting the performance you want from your detector, upgrade the detector, not the piece of wire coiled up below it. Because that is all that it is, a coil of wire!!!

Frank, I have to really disagree with the above statement. The problem with this is the manufacture is typically making a product that works in many environment.. Not one that works really well in just one. Having different coils for different situations is not rocket science.. it is perfectly simple common sense.. I.E. Big area with little trash, requires a big coil to cover lots of ground. lots of trash within inches of each other, requires a very small coil to be able to pick up each target separately. After market products are required as the manufacturer may not want to design, tool and support multiple coils (actually a very complicated coil of many wires unlike your description) Take for instance Whites 8kHz machine.. they make one coil the 4x6 shooter, otherwise you are stuck with a 9" round.. The NEL hunter (close to the stock 9" size but DD rather than round) allows the machine to search a 10" wide (tip to toe) (DD coil) swath that is only an inch or so thick, at Depth for good separation . The 9" round only covers about 1" or so (bottom of the cone) at max depth requiring 75% or greater overlap on each swing.. I.E really slow progress to not miss anything) Also with the round you have a better change of masking with the 9" round field at the surface.. So tell me how buying aftermarket coils are bad? If you like to drive fast and make sharp turns and want you car to handle really well, you replace the factory tires which were chosen because they do everything "OK" with ones that are made for performance and handling under dry weather conditions.. Dont' expect to have good performance with those after market performance tires when it snows or rains..
Just like you don't use the big Tornado in a trash filled parks or the sniper to hunt the beach or corn field..

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Frank, I have to really disagree with the above statement. The problem with this is the manufacture is typically making a product that works in many environment.. Not one that works really well in just one. Having different coils for different situations is not rocket science.. it is perfectly simple common sense.. I.E. Big area with little trash, requires a big coil to cover lots of ground. lots of trash within inches of each other, requires a very small coil to be able to pick up each target separately. After market products are required as the manufacturer may not want to design, tool and support multiple coils (actually a very complicated coil of many wires unlike your description) Take for instance Whites 8kHz machine.. they make one coil the 4x6 shooter, otherwise you are stuck with a 9" round.. The NEL hunter (close to the stock 9" size but DD rather than round) allows the machine to search a 10" wide (tip to toe) (DD coil) swath that is only an inch or so thick, at Depth for good separation . The 9" round only covers about 1" or so (bottom of the cone) at max depth requiring 75% or greater overlap on each swing.. I.E really slow progress to not miss anything) Also with the round you have a better change of masking with the 9" round field at the surface.. So tell me how buying aftermarket coils are bad? If you like to drive fast and make sharp turns and want you car to handle really well, you replace the factory tires which were chosen because they do everything "OK" with ones that are made for performance and handling under dry weather conditions.. Dont' expect to have good performance with those after market performance tires when it snows or rains..
Just like you don't use the big Tornado in a trash filled parks or the sniper to hunt the beach or corn field..

Ok Airscapes raise the shields, here it comes.
First off the technical info out there used to sell coils is pure BS.
The 9.5" stock concentric coil doesn't have a small cone pattern! I have pulled large targets at 2' with that concentric stock coil on a 14 year old XLT. I have found coins at 8" that read all the way across the coil.
So that blows the small cone theory.

I haven't seen a park loaded with junk in many years. They are hit to hard.

My XLT swings fast as I walk the ground. They are built for fast scan and can be calibrated for a fast reset. That is what I meant by get a better detector not another roll of wire to hang on it. If I hit two targets together, they both show on the graph. I then move in slowly from the sides to locate each. Why waste time playing with different coils?
I found this $3000 ring in an old back yard. It was next to a nail. The Graph showed iron and gold and the target ID shifted back and forth. By carefully moving in from the side, I located the ring and popped it out from app. 4" with my probe. That's dead on pinpointing of a multiple target with a stock 9.5" concentric.
You can believe that advertising BS if you choose, but I deal in reality. Sorry, but that's me. Frank...-
ruby gold ring 800.jpg PS: Your car comparison is not realistic. Here's why.
If I want to detect in the park, a yard, or the woods etc. I use my XLT.
If I want to detect on the beach or prospect for gold, I use my Surfmaster PI .
If I want to cache hunt for a large cache, I use my Hays 2 Box.
No coil switching here.

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not use the XLT to work the Beach ???? You shouldn't need a different MD to do a beach than the dirt! If one coil is good for everything so is one MD.. Like you also said in another thread.. All pin pointers are the same.. they pin point.. All MD are the same, they detect metal one should be all you would ever need.. All coils must be the same.. they are wire..
Lets just say we agree to disagree.. You have been at it for many years longer than I and I am sure you are correct and I am wrong. Must be my imagination and all 3 coils I put on my machine and use, work exactly the same..

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats funny... we buy extra coils for each situation.. you buy whole new detectors... :))
Ps.... I have 4 detectors... I am no better... lol

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Why not use the XLT to work the Beach ???? You shouldn't need a different MD to do a beach than the dirt! If one coil is good for everything so is one MD.. Like you also said in another thread.. All pin pointers are the same.. they pin point.. All MD are the same, they detect metal one should be all you would ever need.. All coils must be the same.. they are wire..
Lets just say we agree to disagree.. You have been at it for many years longer than I and I am sure you are correct and I am wrong. Must be my imagination and all 3 coils I put on my machine and use, work exactly the same..
------------------------------------------------
Looks like a case of sour grapes. lol
What I said was that all pinpointers do the same thing, a very simple job of closeup location.
Although detectors do the same basic job, that of detecting metal, They each take there own route. When you look at the circuits inside, they are very different in the way they process the basic information they get from the coil.
I am curious, just what do you think is in that coil besides a length of wire?

Actually the XLT is to sensitive for beach use, o, it will work on the beach, but not as well, While the PI was born for the beach in that it is immune to salt and metallic sand plus it is waterproof.

I think you are having a hard time understanding your coil is just a set of wires the wavelength of your detectors frequency. With just 2 exceptions that I know of. Hay, go out and buy a couple of more coils and cheer up, Frank...-
cock fight 700.jpg

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will not argue about bigger coils but smaller will and do find more targets in heavy trash or iron that is just how it is.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About that, I have my doubts. A small coil will not go as deep as a standard issue coil. Now
it's true, you never get it all, but I can pick up more with a standard coil than a sniper coil.
The thing is, I am mostly a cache hunter, so I seldom return. The only exception is some parks to keep my hand in between cache hunts. We all do what we think works best for us. Just my thoughts, Frank...- View attachment 1021633
You say you can pick up more with standard coil than with a sniper you must hunt only clean areas or your mistaken. I've been a this a long time also and there are some basic facts that can't be ignored.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree in heavy trashy areas you definitely need a small coil!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frank!! Now That is one GORGEOUS 1854!! WOW!! Really some Nice Pieces!! Thanks for Sharing!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a reproduction coin....
It wasn't made in 1854!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I couldn’t wait even though it is 90+ degrees outside today. I took the NEL 15” Attack coil on my AT PRO and took it to a school that I did back in the late 70's that we took over 100 silver dimes off of it back then, mostly mercs. I also have used my Garrett Ace 350 and my AT PRO at this same school. My friend and I are going to go there Saturday morning and give it a really good first test. Tonight I only tested it for 15 minutes on a side field and found 2 dimes and a quarter all clad but all approx 5” deep. The dimes were low volume and hi ping repeatable sound. My goal is to go over the main field where all of the silver was found with my new coil and see how it does? I have not been able to find silver on this field with my other 2 detectors (cleaned out back in the day). I have a very good feeling after the short test tonight! It performs as advertized. It is so much more stable and quieter than the stock coils. I have both the 8.5 x 11" & the 5 x 8" PROformance DD search coils* for my AT PRO. Don’t get me wrong I love this detector I am just looking for that edge to get more depth out of a coil. I think I found it. It was quiet enough that I could run it at full sensitivity. The field is a low trash area which is perfect for this type of large coil. I do not think it will be good to use in a hi trash area (time will tell). This coil is so big you can cover a lot of ground very fast. I am very impressed so far. More to come :)
Gary from Oregon

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked an old roadway next to a church with the 6x8 last week. I tried to be as thorough as possible and recovered 71 coins, all clad. I went back to the site with the 15" attack 2 days later and recovered 32 more coins from the same area. I was really shocked how much ground can be missed with small coils.

The ability to cover more ground, more thoroughly justifies the large coil.

There are experts on this forum that will say the coil does not work any better than the standard ones. However the carpel tunnel in my wrist tells me to
lay off recovering targets that are deeper than my lesch digger!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEL ATTACK 15” COIL on AT PRO test ***

This is from Sunday mornings 3rd test run with this combo. As you can see by the pictures I found 39 coins (none good) at this 1912 house, in the front yard, that has been condemned by fire. (14) coins I found on one side of the front yard that I had went over 2X already with the 5x8 coil. The conclusion is that the original Garrett coils give you tons of info on the target below and tell you what you may not want to dig. The NEL coil tells you what you should dig. You will dig more bottle caps, but you will dig more coins! I found the dragonfly pin on the side I already went over 2X with the 5x8 coil? All of the signals I dug with the NEL coil were solid double pings. I do not know how I missed them with the factory coil? If this NEL coil was a piece of garbage I would also post that, but so far has been awesome. I found (5) wheats on the 2nd outing on lawns I already had went over 2x with the standard coils. I also found a nice “Black Hills” silver ring too! More feedback on the 15” ATTACK coil to follow.

Gary from Oregon md11.jpg md22.jpg md33.jpg md44.jpg md55.jpg md66.jpg md77.jpg md88.jpg md99.jpg

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Very informative thread thank you everyone.

mredford

Feb 19, 2018
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve had a Nel Storm on my At Pro for a month now. I am getting deeper depth. Like many though pinpointing has been a challenge. All in all great coil.

twisttop

Jan 22, 2014
Eastern Wa. State
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher Goldbug, Whites coinmaster pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Nel snake and the CORS (Nels) Detonation 13”x14 coil for my AT Pro. I love the Snake coil in trashy areas. The Detonation I just purchased and have only used it once on my last time out and did find a 1948 dime. I was noticing some “falsing”. It is something that I can get used to, because when it gave false readings, it would give a tone, but no VDI number or depth reading. I do not dig what I think are Zinc pennies (VDI@78-79). They are usually in bad shape or a bottle cap where I detect. Overall, so far I love both coils. VDI numbers seem to be the same as the stock coil.

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I run the AT PRo with the small NEL coil (snake?). I do like it for the fact it's solid compared to the standard 5x8 coil, meaning it never gets stuck on the little branches and twigs on the ground. Apart from that I haven't been able to make out a real difference.

Misuraco

Dec 2, 2016
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX
Detect-Ed red belly shaft
Minelab ProFind 35
All 3 nox coils
Grave Digger tomb stone venom
Grave Digger side kick venom
At pro
Whites Mx5
Garrett ace400
Garrett pro pointer AT
Garrett pro po
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the NEL storm and sharp shooter on my AT pro they are both excellent coils I’m about to order the NEL snake for cellar holes. I’ve had much success with NEL on my ATP and would recommend them to anyone asking especially the storm coil to start

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5x8 coil

I would go with the 5x8 for the ATP, you can only get so much from a machine and I don't think you can do better than the 5x8 coil for an ATP. The 5x8 will pay for itself over and over. Not sure about a nel coil.

can you tell me why ? I am a noob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread