Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Anyone using a NEL coil on thier AT Pro?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2011
    NE Ohio
    CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
    460 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I have an Attack coil for my AT Pro. vdi is somewhat lower but easy to get used to. I find myself digging a lot of 6" to 8" deep targets.

It covers a tremendous amount of ground. Or in some weed situations.

Be prepared to buy a swing thingy as this coil will kill your arm due to imbalance. With the thingy it is no problem.

It is either it or the 6x8 now. The standard coil is in storage.

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2949 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtscratcher View Post
    I would be willing to bet some of those places you would have found more going back over with a small coil.
    About that, I have my doubts. A small coil will not go as deep as a standard issue coil. Now
    it's true, you never get it all, but I can pick up more with a standard coil than a sniper coil.
    The thing is, I am mostly a cache hunter, so I seldom return. The only exception is some parks to keep my hand in between cache hunts. We all do what we think works best for us. Just my thoughts, Frank...-Click image for larger version. 

Name:	y gold bars.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	1021633

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    2949 times
    Quote Originally Posted by masterjedi View Post
    I have also been detecting since the 70's...I have a Bounty Hunter Raider from back then that still is a great detector...
    What amazes me is that some dont understand how more advanced a detector is today. The coils do matter. You need to use the right coil for the right application.
    Most people dont take the nessassary time to truly learn their machine... And I mean really learn ever single sound. I remember a time in approx 1980 that me and a friend started on a football feild and a woman came over to us to tell us we were wasting our time because two other guys had been there the last week detecting. They just cleaned all the new stuff off of the field. It was great for us because we spent the next month plus gridding it off and pull over 100 silver dimes off the field plus all of the other coins and jewelry.
    Take the time to learn your machine!
    And now how do you get the edge over everyone else... Get every single inch out of the ground you can. Good detector...right coil..."the coil matters"
    I currently us a Garrett ATPRO

Gary from Oregon
    The coil matters about as much as the antenna on a radio. They all are just a length of wire of the proper length to match the wave length of the frequency of your detector. Hay, I worked in electronics for 32 years.
    I do not think the average detectorist really understands what his detector is doing electronics wise.
    Hay, the antennas on my 2 Box are the trim on the case, and it will go down over 6'. lol Frank...-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111-1 profileRED.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	314.9 KB 
ID:	1021642

us
    Nov 2013
    Philadelphia PA
    DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
    554 times
    If there is anyone following this thread that has never taken the time to read this article, I would highly recommend it. It is 20 pages with lots of pictures. Read it in 2 sittings and again in full after a day of hunting.. Truth About Search Coils
    hoppscat and TWray like this.

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    2949 times
    Well, that was a kind of technical stew of facts and and theories that should bewilder the average detectorist.
    It's, as stated, is kind of a sales push for coil sales by Kellyco.
    Think about this! Don't you think the designers of the detector know what works best in the way of a search coil for there detector And don't you think they want you to get the best performance from there detector? So why would they sell an inferior coil with there detector? Think about it!!! If you are not getting the performance you want from your detector, upgrade the detector, not the piece of wire coiled up below it. Because that is all that it is, a coil of wire!!! Jest trying to help the unsuspecting, Frank...-

Name:	111-2 de Vinci.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	1021655

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2547 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankn View Post
    Well, that was a kind of technical stew of facts and and theories that should bewilder the average detectorist.
    It's, as stated, is kind of a sales push for coil sales by Kellyco.
    Think about this! Don't you think the designers of the detector know what works best in the way of a search coil for there detector And don't you think they want you to get the best performance from there detector? So why would they sell an inferior coil with there detector? Think about it!!! If you are not getting the performance you want from your detector, upgrade the detector, not the piece of wire coiled up below it. Because that is all that it is, a coil of wire!!! Jest trying to help the unsuspecting, Frank...-
    Frankn … That was what i have always said also .. When a company makes a detector they match that detector with the best coil for it …. They want there detector's to work the best they can … So to do that they will put the best coil with that detector..
    Frankn likes this.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

us
    Nov 2013
    Philadelphia PA
    DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
    554 times
    Think about it!!! If you are not getting the performance you want from your detector, upgrade the detector, not the piece of wire coiled up below it. Because that is all that it is, a coil of wire!!!
    Frank, I have to really disagree with the above statement. The problem with this is the manufacture is typically making a product that works in many environment.. Not one that works really well in just one. Having different coils for different situations is not rocket science.. it is perfectly simple common sense.. I.E. Big area with little trash, requires a big coil to cover lots of ground. lots of trash within inches of each other, requires a very small coil to be able to pick up each target separately. After market products are required as the manufacturer may not want to design, tool and support multiple coils (actually a very complicated coil of many wires unlike your description) Take for instance Whites 8kHz machine.. they make one coil the 4x6 shooter, otherwise you are stuck with a 9" round.. The NEL hunter (close to the stock 9" size but DD rather than round) allows the machine to search a 10" wide (tip to toe) (DD coil) swath that is only an inch or so thick, at Depth for good separation . The 9" round only covers about 1" or so (bottom of the cone) at max depth requiring 75% or greater overlap on each swing.. I.E really slow progress to not miss anything) Also with the round you have a better change of masking with the 9" round field at the surface.. So tell me how buying aftermarket coils are bad? If you like to drive fast and make sharp turns and want you car to handle really well, you replace the factory tires which were chosen because they do everything "OK" with ones that are made for performance and handling under dry weather conditions.. Dont' expect to have good performance with those after market performance tires when it snows or rains..
    Just like you don't use the big Tornado in a trash filled parks or the sniper to hunt the beach or corn field..
    Last edited by airscapes; Jul 12, 2014 at 12:20 PM.

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    2949 times
    Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    Frank, I have to really disagree with the above statement. The problem with this is the manufacture is typically making a product that works in many environment.. Not one that works really well in just one. Having different coils for different situations is not rocket science.. it is perfectly simple common sense.. I.E. Big area with little trash, requires a big coil to cover lots of ground. lots of trash within inches of each other, requires a very small coil to be able to pick up each target separately. After market products are required as the manufacturer may not want to design, tool and support multiple coils (actually a very complicated coil of many wires unlike your description) Take for instance Whites 8kHz machine.. they make one coil the 4x6 shooter, otherwise you are stuck with a 9" round.. The NEL hunter (close to the stock 9" size but DD rather than round) allows the machine to search a 10" wide (tip to toe) (DD coil) swath that is only an inch or so thick, at Depth for good separation . The 9" round only covers about 1" or so (bottom of the cone) at max depth requiring 75% or greater overlap on each swing.. I.E really slow progress to not miss anything) Also with the round you have a better change of masking with the 9" round field at the surface.. So tell me how buying aftermarket coils are bad? If you like to drive fast and make sharp turns and want you car to handle really well, you replace the factory tires which were chosen because they do everything "OK" with ones that are made for performance and handling under dry weather conditions.. Dont' expect to have good performance with those after market performance tires when it snows or rains..
    Just like you don't use the big Tornado in a trash filled parks or the sniper to hunt the beach or corn field..
    Ok Airscapes raise the shields, here it comes.
    First off the technical info out there used to sell coils is pure BS.
    The 9.5" stock concentric coil doesn't have a small cone pattern! I have pulled large targets at 2' with that concentric stock coil on a 14 year old XLT. I have found coins at 8" that read all the way across the coil.
    So that blows the small cone theory.

I haven't seen a park loaded with junk in many years. They are hit to hard.

My XLT swings fast as I walk the ground. They are built for fast scan and can be calibrated for a fast reset. That is what I meant by get a better detector not another roll of wire to hang on it. If I hit two targets together, they both show on the graph. I then move in slowly from the sides to locate each. Why waste time playing with different coils?
    I found this $3000 ring in an old back yard. It was next to a nail. The Graph showed iron and gold and the target ID shifted back and forth. By carefully moving in from the side, I located the ring and popped it out from app. 4" with my probe. That's dead on pinpointing of a multiple target with a stock 9.5" concentric.
    You can believe that advertising BS if you choose, but I deal in reality. Sorry, but that's me. Frank...-

Name:	ruby gold ring 800.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	1021732PS: Your car comparison is not realistic. Here's why.
    If I want to detect in the park, a yard, or the woods etc. I use my XLT.
    If I want to detect on the beach or prospect for gold, I use my Surfmaster PI .
    If I want to cache hunt for a large cache, I use my Hays 2 Box.
    No coil switching here.
    Last edited by Frankn; Jul 12, 2014 at 02:04 PM.

us
    Nov 2013
    Philadelphia PA
    554 times
    Why not use the XLT to work the Beach ? You shouldn't need a different MD to do a beach than the dirt! If one coil is good for everything so is one MD.. Like you also said in another thread.. All pin pointers are the same.. they pin point.. All MD are the same, they detect metal one should be all you would ever need.. All coils must be the same.. they are wire..
    Lets just say we agree to disagree.. You have been at it for many years longer than I and I am sure you are correct and I am wrong. Must be my imagination and all 3 coils I put on my machine and use, work exactly the same..

us
    May 2014
    Oregon
    Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
    1313 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thats funny... we buy extra coils for each situation.. you buy whole new detectors... )
    Ps.... I have 4 detectors... I am no better... lol
    Frankn and BLK HOLE like this.

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    2949 times
    Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    Why not use the XLT to work the Beach ? You shouldn't need a different MD to do a beach than the dirt! If one coil is good for everything so is one MD.. Like you also said in another thread.. All pin pointers are the same.. they pin point.. All MD are the same, they detect metal one should be all you would ever need.. All coils must be the same.. they are wire..
    Lets just say we agree to disagree.. You have been at it for many years longer than I and I am sure you are correct and I am wrong. Must be my imagination and all 3 coils I put on my machine and use, work exactly the same..
    ------------------------------------------------
    Looks like a case of sour grapes. lol
    What I said was that all pinpointers do the same thing, a very simple job of closeup location.
    Although detectors do the same basic job, that of detecting metal, They each take there own route. When you look at the circuits inside, they are very different in the way they process the basic information they get from the coil.
    I am curious, just what do you think is in that coil besides a length of wire?

Actually the XLT is to sensitive for beach use, o, it will work on the beach, but not as well, While the PI was born for the beach in that it is immune to salt and metallic sand plus it is waterproof.

I think you are having a hard time understanding your coil is just a set of wires the wavelength of your detectors frequency. With just 2 exceptions that I know of. Hay, go out and buy a couple of more coils and cheer up, Frank...-

Name:	cock fight 700.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	1021806

us
    Mar 2009
    Columbia falls Montana
    Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
    1354 times
    I will not argue about bigger coils but smaller will and do find more targets in heavy trash or iron that is just how it is.

us
    Mar 2009
    Columbia falls Montana
    Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
    1354 times
    About that, I have my doubts. A small coil will not go as deep as a standard issue coil. Now
    it's true, you never get it all, but I can pick up more with a standard coil than a sniper coil.
    The thing is, I am mostly a cache hunter, so I seldom return. The only exception is some parks to keep my hand in between cache hunts. We all do what we think works best for us. Just my thoughts, Frank...-Click image for larger version. 

Name:	y gold bars.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	1021633
    You say you can pick up more with standard coil than with a sniper you must hunt only clean areas or your mistaken. I've been a this a long time also and there are some basic facts that can't be ignored.

us
    May 2014
    Oregon
    Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
    1313 times
    Metal Detecting
    I agree in heavy trashy areas you definitely need a small coil!

us
    VERDE

Jun 2013
    Louisiana
    AT Pro
    705 times
    Hey Frank!! Now That is one GORGEOUS 1854!! WOW!! Really some Nice Pieces!! Thanks for Sharing!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links