Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I wasn't getting Any replies in other categories.. I'm gonna post this here. I'm having the hardest time deciding what detector to buy! I go in circles trying to decide! I currently own The F2 but I'm looking at a AT pro, or a Fisher F5 but I'm open to other brands, I'll be hunting mostly parks with occasional older homesites, and some beach. Waterproof is not a factor as I will not be hunting in deep water. I want a deep seeking coin/relic detector with stable ID numbers. I know the at pro is a great detector, but does anyone have any other detectors in mind? Thanks in advance!
-Ryan

Upvote 0

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I wasn't getting Any replies in other categories.. I'm gonna post this here. I'm having the hardest time deciding what detector to buy! I go in circles trying to decide! I currently own The F2 but I'm looking at a AT pro, or a Fisher F5 but I'm open to other brands, I'll be hunting mostly parks with occasional older homesites, and some beach. Waterproof is not a factor as I will not be hunting in deep water. I want a deep seeking coin/relic detector with stable ID numbers. I know the at pro is a great detector, but does anyone have any other detectors in mind? Thanks in advance!
-Ryan

It is hard to make an informed recommendation with out a maximum budget in mind. If the AT Pro is at the high end, it would be a good choice. Even if you aren't going to submerge the detector, its nice to know that it is protected from the elements. Other decent detectors I've HEARD about in this price range are the ML Xterra 505 and Teknetics Gamma/Omega, but I cannot attest to their performance.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My budget is right around the 600 $ mark. I've heard lots of negative things about the gamma and omega, but I'll research the 505 to see how that stacks up.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My budget is right around the 600 $ mark. I've heard lots of negative things about the gamma and omega, but I'll research the 505 to see how that stacks up.

I noticed you are from Michigan, what area? I can't wait for all our damn snow to melt! I have had lots of luck with the AT Pro here in Michigan, including an old silver ring about 8-10" down. You can get some extra depth by manually messing with the ground balance, and it has worked for me.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Southeastern part. Around Adrian if you've heard of that.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's cool! Maybe we could meet up this summer. Thanks for the info.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Once again I have to mention the Whites M6. It has a beach mode that really works in wet sand. They are built like tanks and people use them for YEARS. The VDI is great and the unit includes a perfectly matched 950 coil. It will go as deep as any that you have mentioned.........oh yeah, they're built right here in the USA

Search the web and try to find a bad review

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:
Once again I have to mention the Whites M6. It has a beach mode that really works in wet sand. They are built like tanks and people use them for YEARS. The VDI is great and the unit includes a perfectly matched 950 coil. It will go as deep as any that you have mentioned.........oh yeah, they're built right here in the USA

I love my M6 and use it on the saltwater beach and in the water (it's water proof up to the electronics).
But do a hands on test of all detectors you are considering it's the best way! Hope to see some awesome pics of your finds soon! GL. HH

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My personal favorite is the AT Pro.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I don't own an M6, but treasurecoasteric is right about the lack of bad reviews on them. Don't wast your time searching the internet for bad reviews on them- I did and there aren't any.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Detecting Pro; Here is another suggestion. The M6 is a great detector from Whites Electronics. I've used it many times. I like it a "LOT". It separates iron from coins better than most upper level detectors. It has good depth as well. Especially in moist soils. Thing is you can now find, with a little research, a Whites DFX for about $600. The DFX is the only detector a guy in your position will ever have to buy again. It will meet or beat anything you need it to do and it is "sensitive" as heck.!!! So there you have it. Now just do some research ok. PEACE:RONB
PS: The Warranty is great on all Whites as well ok.

spartan67

Greenie
Feb 1, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Detectingpro.
I am new to metal detecting and preparing to purchase a detector in the next few weeks (probably AT Pro) I am located in Adrian also. Maybe we can meet up sometime? Good luck with your purchasing decision!

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool! Lets keep in touch! Im just hoping that this snow melts soon!

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
-Ryan

After doing enough research to boggle most people's minds, I believe that of those two machines, the F5 is the best pick. The AT pro's performance is too inconsistent from what I've heard. Don't get me wrong, it's a top machine, but I wouldn't take that path. On the other hand, I've heard great things about the F5. It can be tuned a million different ways and its depth is supposed to be incredible in all metal. However, if I were you I would also look into getting a used whites MXT. People who have owned top end machines still vow by them, and you should be able to pick one up for around $450-500.

spartan67

Greenie
Feb 1, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool! Lets keep in touch! Im just hoping that this snow melts soon!
Definitely will keep in touch. Will probably make purchase in 3 - 4 weeks. Have a ton to learn and will be hanging around to learn from everyone here!

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the MX5. White's put a lot of the M6 and MXT features in it and the list price is 599 with some places selling it at 549.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out the MX5. White's put a lot of the M6 and MXT features in it and the list price is 599 with some places selling it at 549.

As some of you know, I decided on the AT Pro. I'm liking it!

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread