Which site should I hit first? Old road, overgrown ghost town, or my own neighborhood

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi MDers,

I have several potential sites to hit this spring. Which site should I choose first?

Old railroad ghost town 2 miles from my house?
-Was once a huge town with 4 saloons, stores, businesses , churches, schools. Now, nothing. I don't know any of the property owners. Town has been gone for a long time. 1867-1910s?

My own front yard?
-I've dug my yard a lot. Found lots of square head nails, glass, and possibly a maple tap. I believe my yard may have been bulldozed at one time. The old house site now sits under a main road. I think the barn my have been where my front yard is now. I have some signs of a cellar in my front yard. (Lots of large rocks and a depression next to a hill.) I believe the homestead dates to late 1800s - 1910 according to map.

Old road by my house
-I have traced the old road that ran by my house. Some of it is covered by the modern paved road but bits of the old wagon road pop out here and there. Is it worth it?

Old homestead sites by my house
-I found an old map of my township. There were several homestead sites near my home but are very overgrown. Is it worth it? Where should I look?

Old dump
-My uncle owns some property that has a very large old dump. I don't even know how to begin searching here. I've found old and somewhat new trash. (Old bottles to items about 1950). This site is also near a old railroad track but I'm pretty sure not a depot. Also has some signs of homes (random, out of place hedges, roads, cleared land) This area also had some native american activity but in the vicinity, not directly.

I know you will probably say I should look at them all, and I hope I can. But where should I focus. Where would be my best bet, the best bang for my buck. How easy will it be to find and seek permission from land owners? Can I find stuff when sites are super overgrown? If my detector good enough? I looking for next steps. THANKS!!!

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghost town first it may be destroyed by progress. The other areas will always be there to hit when you have the time. Good luck in all your hunts! Check for the privys at the rail road stop. People who traveled by rail often had things to loose.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Tn. You have many options here, and most will await your exploration. Get the Ghost Town first, as you will soon have competition.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with what's been posted. However, the only way to know for sure on any area is to get out and detect it. Those of us on the forum can only offer thoughts on what areas are LIKELY to be worth detecting. You will have to get out and make the effort. Often areas that seem like they should be good will be a bust and areas that don't seem likely will offer a real goody or two.
luvsdux

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the others provided that:
1. You get permission from the owners to hunt the ghost town site.
2. You've honed your pin pointing and recovery skills so you don't leave a mess.
3. You're not in danger of losing permission to hunt the old homesteads in the mean time.
The rest of your options can wait without penalty. I'd save your own property for a day when you can't get away to hunt the other properties for one reason or another or use it for practice if you're just learning. I think you'll find you'll want to upgrade your detector in the very near future.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say ghost town first, providing its not the Idlewild area..bottle dumps..num num..love the cobalt blues.
Overgrown areas I take my weed whacker to those, or just dodge and weave my way through. Best advice in overgrown locations is lots of tick repellant, Lyme's disease really blows.

Mike

Don Griffith

May 2, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Vibra Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asking permission's not so hard... the more you do it, the easier it gets-for me ,anyway. Just go to the nearest house/business and ask if they know who owns that field-lot-whatever it is... When you find the owner, introduce yourself, tell'em your hobby is md'ing, and ask if they'd mind if you hunt the spot. Be sure to say you'll fill all holes you dig, and remove any trash you find. All they can say is yes or no... or maybe spit the finds 50/50, right? Anyway, that's what I do, and I've had pretty good luck. Always be nice, a lot of it is just how you approach people, and you'll do well. Good Luck!!
Don

Coinhead

Aug 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which site should I hit first?

Only my opinion, but I would focus on the old ghost town particularly since you said it had 4 saloons, stores, businesses, churches and schools. If you can ID the general location of the saloons, even better. Search carefully around the base of any old trees that would have been alive when the town was in operation. I don't know where you are but here in Connecticut, most good targets are only down 4-5 ". I found an 1805 US large Penny at 5". So if your detector is accurate down to 7-8", I would think you'd be fine on your hunt virtually anywhere. I would use low discrimination, that is; "detect it all" as you never know what you will find, and where. i have not had good luck on old roads unless you're looking for horseshoes and the like. Home steaders were generally poor, so you might find an old relic of some type but I doubt it would be too productive. I general you want to find the spots where people congregated, picnicked and transacted business. Depending on your interests the dump could yield something cool, if it's pretty old.

Good luck and HH,

CH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Coinhead! I'm happy to give you your first "like"!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will get as many answers with this question as you would with " which detector should I buy?". I have to agree that your own lawn will be there anytime, so as long as you get permission, do the ghost town before the tax return detectors flood the area. Your lawn is really the place to learn to correctly refill any digs though. You don't want to learn at someone else's expense. I hope you do well and get enjoyment no matter what you recover.

Amce54

Mar 2, 2014
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overgrown ghosts town it's a no brainer! The possibilities are endless and the signals will be greater and more contained.

Nuclear

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm...lots of great choices! I'd start with researching the stores and trying that out. I'd cove to hear your results!

klever

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Pasco,WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw and Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I had the problem that you are having. lol Ghost town definitely. Saloon and Church. Maybe even church first. Seems like all the Churches I detect always give me good finds and some good old coins. If you would like some company let me know,haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread