Winter Metal Detecting Blues

Utakn2me

Feb 22, 2014
Cudahy, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I'm new to this site and I find it very informative. I'm in Wisconsin and not much for detecting here in the winter. But, I'm visiting one of our plants in Fresno on March 3rd for two weeks and would like to get some information on metal detecting sites in that area without getting into trouble. I purchased a new Minelab E-trac and didn't have much time last fall to try it out.
Thanks in advance if any of you could give me some information or leads on where to go

Upvote 0

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Utakn2me! First of all welcome to the forum from Syracuse NY (CENTRAL NY)! I'm glad you enjoy the forum and hope you stay here for a long time. So, it is hard metal detecting in the winter especially in central ny but realistically nobody is going to tell you where to hunt. That's where you come in. Try to go to your local library and search about the place your interested about and see if there are any historical sites at that place. Or maybe talk to maybe an elderly neighbor or your grandparents and see if they know any good places that might of been an old swimming hole back then. GG&HH!!

OP
OP
U

Utakn2me

Feb 22, 2014
Cudahy, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I know nobody is going give me their honey holes. I'm just interested in finding places where it's legal and I won't get shot at. I'll try the locals. There should be some of those elusive ghost town in central California

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, you should be able to hunt in local parks and stuff. Umm, for private properties you will need to get permission from the landowners or then it's illegal and you'll probably get shot if you don't get permission for private properties haha! Alright well then GG&HH!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Utakn2me,

You might try posting in the California forum. Some of the locals might be able to help you out.

Mike

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The city of Fresno has no rules prohibiting metal detectors in their city parks. No "permits" or anything. It's simply silent on the issue, as far as I know. Because I know guys who hunt the parks there, and .... have never heard of any issues over there. That's not to say that someone can't still get their panties in a wad and say you're hurting the grass or whatever. So you go at low traffic times, and avoid lookie-lous.

Not sure how good the parks are there, as far as easy pickens. No doubt the better older parks have long since been picked over by the past 30 yrs. of md'ing pressure :) But .... ya never know.

As far as ghost towns, not really "ghost towns" in that area of CA. There's little rural burgs where there used to be markets, saloons, stores, etc.... at every 10 mile intervals from the days before auto's. You know, like where in the old days, every 8 or 10 miles would have another collection of a store, a black-smith, a stage stop, etc.... And when the age of autos came, such burgs dried up. There maybe nothing but a country cross-roads there today with nothing but an out-of-place few trees. Or could be a modern home(s) covering the site, or ... who knows? In that part of CA, that's about the only "ghost town" type place you're going to encounter, if you want to call them that. There may be some other failed town-site attempts out in the ag. lands, but not of the type where anything's left to see. And again, it depends on your defintion of "town". Back in the 1800s, sometimes a simple collection of 6 or 7 neighbors, all within a few miles of each other, got called a "town" or "village", yet is not in the sense that we use the terms today. They're more like a "vicinity" name.

OP
OP
U

Utakn2me

Feb 22, 2014
Cudahy, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tom, just have the bug and would like to swing my machine for a while. I drove past Millerton lake two weeks ago and noticed a dam that people were panning for gold. Maybe following up the river bed might be fun. I'll find out in a couple of weeks when I go back there.

Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread