Seriously what can detectors expect to fing in Mercer County, Pennsylvania

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that this looks like a dumb question, but not really. We all no different parts of our country offer different findings than others just a fact, that being said in this part of the country or county of western , pa. Yes I understand do your own research I do. Its just a question for any expert or excuse me old timer that may no what points of interest there where back in the day that's all. trails stage coach runs, you get the point appreciate this would help others as well so Im asking for us all, god bless enjoy life.:BangHead:

Upvote 0

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi 49er12, I live between Mercer & Grove City, drop me a pm, would like to meet you and talk with you.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey GPS 53,
Fine looking Shepard you have there! I see you've both the XLT and the V3i. I realize they are very different machines but I would appreciate your sharing your comments/comparisons of the two.

What could be found in any old town. Junk nothing but junk. Of course some of it could be silver and some of could be gold and some on a really good day could be platinum and then some of it could be coins, even really old and maybe valuable ones. Then again you might only find a gold crown to a tooth, or a silver Mickey Mouse Ring, or an old aluminum "SharpShooter Ring" that some little child lost a long long time ago. Old bottles, a watch here and there, just junk. Go have some fun and find out and relax while you are out there just listen to the tone especially through ear phones, silver has such a pure rich tone!!................63bkpkr

PS - I've found all the items I've listed above save for the platinum item, I'm still searching for that one. I was offered $26 for the sharp shooter ring by a dealer many, many years ago. I still have it.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for responding, I live in Sharon now. I bought a used whites dfx have the original coil and a eclipse 5.3 so I wanted to get started just about 5 years or soand thought this equipment would be good. Im certainly not a expert nobody really is. I guess its a hobby that requires time and you must have patience Im almost 50 now and its hard to get out job and all so I search buhl park surrounding areas. Contact back let me no what your luck has found and we can keep in comtact ok god bless

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've heard the DFX is a good machine. In the picture with the coils side by side is a book written by Jimmy Sierra about the DFX, it seems the DFX and the XLT have a lot in common. Fifty is no problem, getting away from work can be, IMHO. If you write to white's in Sweet Home and ask about the book they might just send you one, it is worth a try.

Detecting is a quiet peaceful hobby for the most part. There are moments when one's heart runs quite fast after an especially good find, silver quarter, gold ring, silver dimes and the like. Sharing with those around you can also be fun. I had some young children, oldest was maybe 10, ask if they could have my junk finds, sure why not. An old rusty pocket knife went to the youngest boy, the little girl got the .45 ACP slug (nicely intact with rifling on it) and the oldest boy really got junk. They were all thrilled and it was fun for me. I've also been asked to locate jewelry for people. Now that is a real pleasure to be able to give back to others!

Work your own place till you really learn the machine. Then headout to other places, like your neighbors yard. Be sure to learn how to dig carefully and replace everything so it is quite difficult for anyone to find the dug spot. This will get you invited back. All my best wishes for some fun times with your machine...........63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gps52, thought I would drop you a message. Being we are in mercer county, you find any places of interest, its ashame we cant find things like they do on the other side of state civil war relics etc you no, ive been asked many times what can we expect to find in our area, maybe you can educate me well keep in touch thanks.

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do some research on Washington's Trail. It maps his trek through this area around 1753 - 1754, French & Indian War. It weaves through Western PA and could lead to some possible campsites for relic hunts. Perhaps its a bit south of Mercer but it sure is pretty country.

I'll be detecting the creeks in and around Slippery Rock Gorge this spring and summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread