TWO first in one hole ! POCKET SPILL !

hightonehunter

Oct 21, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Elite 2200( First Texas ), Garrett pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detected a house built in 1900 today. Hit a pretty good tone and dug a plug, scooped out the loose dirt and pinpointed the dirt. Found 3 cents, 2 wheaties and a memorial. Stuck the pinpointed in the hole and poked around and out pops a silver quarter ! My first silver ! Dig a little more and check the dirt and BAM!!!!! a buffalo nickel ! Ended up with 5 wheaties 1951d, 1953, 1945, 1944, 1940. 2 memorials both 1960d's , 1920 ( d I think) buffalo, 1956 quarter. The medal in the picture was dug in a different hole. Looks to be brass and says " first place DLC Olympics", gonna do a little research on it. Researching is another part of the hobby the I love too. Sorry for such a long post but I'm just so excited about these finds. God I love this hobby. image-151451819.jpg image-4183537566.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Hightones, the fever is relentless. Just keep the good days in mind and know they will happen again. There are ups and downs in this hobby and when things aren't working remember what you said about loving research. Being successful in this hobby is all about research.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool!

Makes me wonder if they were all dropped at the same time? Kind of odd to have the Buff in there with the Memorial pennies...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the more success I've had, in getting better at hunting and good finds, I find myself day-dreaming about 'tectin, and I toss and turn going to sleep, thinking about sticking my fingers in the dirt... yes, this hobby rocks:headbang: aint it great!? too bad for our friends that don't get it. oh yea, awesome finds!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those with tid machines - if you're getting a bouncing signal that jumps back and forth over different coin values with a trash mixed in (usually) always dig as that 3 times out of 5 will be a coin spill.
luvsdux

OP
OP
hightonehunter

hightonehunter

Oct 21, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Elite 2200( First Texas ), Garrett pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought it was a odd mixture of coins too. Only thing I can think of is it was spilled around 1960 or 61 and the person was carrying the buffalo nickel for luck( I've heard people carry them for that ). Was lucky for me any way:laughing7::icon_thumright:

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought it was a odd mixture of coins too. Only thing I can think of is it was spilled around 1960 or 61 and the person was carrying the buffalo nickel for luck( I've heard people carry them for that ). Was lucky for me any way:laughing7::icon_thumright:

Nice finds!

I wouldn't think it would be that rare to find a buffalo nicklel around 1960. They aren't that valuable and certainly weren't back then. Not uncommon to find 50-60 year old Jeffereson nickels in change now.

Anyways congrats, can't wait for the snow to melt and ground to thaw by me.

Pete

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. Cant wait to find my first silver quarter!

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool!

Makes me wonder if they were all dropped at the same time? Kind of odd to have the Buff in there with the Memorial pennies...

I think they were, I grew up in the 50s and 60s and collected Buffalo nickles from pocket change, my friends didn't collect them because they weren't silver so lots of them were still around...cheers.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For older coins, I have only found pocket spills 2 maybe 3 times. I found 3 very old Jefferson nickels really close together one time that dated from the 30's to the 50's.

What perplexes me is that I have found coins stacked in the ground a number of times. Last week it was 3 Washington quarters neatly stacked in the plug. Once I found a quarter, nickel and dime "sandwich" and my detector was getting mixed signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread