Great weekend.But cant get my first silver!!!!!!

Tom Sawyer

Feb 23, 2014
Binghamton ny
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• image-1398913939.jpg
    image-1398913939.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom the sooner you learn this trick the sooner your going to find that silver. It's not really a trick but more of the most important lesson in this hobby. Do some research on the places you hunt. My guess just form the one picture I saw in one of your post your hunting the local stuff like parks and or schools. Now there's nothing wrong with schools and parks especially if there is some history behind them and they haven't already been hammered by others.
These are great places to learn your detector to prepare you for the good stuff. Meaning once you learn your detector your time will be better spent on a good spot. If you want silver coins 64's or earlier then you need to find places that existed in this time period where people lived, played and gathered often. The best I've ever done has been in a park and two old school grounds. I say school grounds because the schools are long gone but were built long ago. All three of these places were part of some of the oldest places in my town. Oldest solver coin to date is a seated 1875 dime. You want to find silver coins then to increase your odds do some research and they will come.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the oldest neighborhood and knock on doors get permission and start digging silver. It is really that easy!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with hunter's statement. Silver does still turn up in parks and school yards, but most have been hammered over the years. People using etracs and other deep machines have done a good job clearing out what remains, but it might be tough to find those really deep targets with the ace. Undetected yards of older houses is your best bet to find any generic silver coin. If you're looking for specific types of silver coins, such as Spanish silver, seated etc., you need to do research and find detectable land that had adequate use from the timeframe desired. I've had a lot of success finding silver by just following paths in the woods in older areas. Mostly just mercury dimes and Washington quarters, but still silver.
However, with that said its only fair to tell you that my first silver coin was a 1943 P war nickel found at a park with my ace 250. It took me two years to find, but the silver has been steady ever since! Good luck,
-Ox

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, try this website to help you locate old buildings. It will let you compare old aerial pics to satellite images.

NETR Online • Historic Aerials

A lot of parks, in urban sprawl areas, used to be farms. Look to see where the house and parking areas used to be and hunt those. People drop a lot of stuff getting in and out of thier cars.

Keep working, and it will happen.

OP
OP
Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Feb 23, 2014
Binghamton ny
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for your help.i will get back to your when I fine my 1st.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for your help.i will get back to your when I fine my 1st.

Now I see the problem, you are trying to fine them and they are hiding from you.
You need to find them :)

OP
OP
Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Feb 23, 2014
Binghamton ny
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got one!!! Thank you for all your help.

Attachments

• image-2509635262.jpg
    image-2509635262.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2254578531.jpg
    image-2254578531.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image-1864728022.jpg
    image-1864728022.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 85

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found over $700 in clad in less than 18 months and only found one silver so far, so some of you guys are pretty lucky. I have hunted places well over 100 yrs old with nothing but it's all where it's lost not where one hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread