Can anyone recommend a quality test kit?

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, been a great start to 2014. Over the last couple years I have recovered a few items that I would like to test for gold purity and silver. I hunt mostly old California 49r gold rush camps so we find lots of crude, hand made jewelry and most of it is not marked anywhere.

I went onto feebay to buy a good Au/Ag test kit and wow, totally overwhelming. Does anyone have any experience with a certain kit or brand? Any advice would be sincerely appreciated ;-)

Mark

ForumRunner_20140326_135344.png

Upvote 0

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a test kit on Feebay which has a bunch of everything including a diamond tester and the silver, platinum and gold testing kit (paid $39 for it). The diamond tester works even though it is a cheapo. The metal testing kit works, but it is a little tricky to get used to knowing how the colors suppose to change. Takes practice.

Provident Metals has some good looking kits, and I have bought from them and they are a reputable company. I would go that route in hindsight.

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good, will see if I can find one of those kits. Thanks!

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was not aware of those fumes, huge thanks for the safety tips! ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread