Recommendations for reference books

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just starting to build a reference library to help me learn more about my finds. I'm mostly interested in coins, buttons, militaria, and early Colonial items. I currently have 'A Guide to Artifacts of Colonial America' by Hume and this little guy at the bottom of the post (just came in the mail today).

I know Don Troiani's books are the gold standard for buttons, but he has published several. I'm looking for input from those of you who utilize these resources regularly. What would be some of your recommendations? What would be your absolute must have books?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just starting to build a reference library to help me learn more about my finds. I'm mostly interested in coins, buttons, militaria, and early Colonial items. I currently have 'A Guide to Artifacts of Colonial America' by Hume and this little guy at the bottom of the post (just came in the mail today).

I know Don Troiani's books are the gold standard for buttons, but he has published several. I'm looking for input from those of you who utilize these resources regularly. What would be some of your recommendations? What would be your absolute must have books?

Get the red book for coins

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Get the red book for coins

Thank you for the reply. I should have been more specific in my inquiry. I am looking for information on coins from the early Colonial period through the Civil War. Same for buttons, militaria, etc.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the reply. I should have been more specific in my inquiry. I am looking for information on coins from the early Colonial period through the Civil War. Same for buttons, militaria, etc.

It has ALOT of Colonial history in it Btw. Every coin EVER made in America is in that book. You won't be disappointed

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, so I just ordered Troiani's 'Insignia of Independence.' Figured its a good place to start.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
TrpnBils, That's a very cool resource, looks great for quick reference. thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread