How do you detect in the water without waterproof headphones?

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterproof ear buds are much cheaper and I prefer ear buds over headphones unless it is very noisy or cold.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Waterproof ear buds are much cheaper and I prefer ear buds over headphones unless it is very noisy or cold.

Waterproof ear buds dont address the fact that the connections need to be waterproof. For ear buds on an atpro, you would have to order the adapter which is twenty five bucks min and then you would have to get a reducer plug on top of all that and then you would have to slather TWO connection points with rtv to even think about it working in the water, especially salt. Or you could cut crap and solder the buds wires to the atpro adapter cord wires and rtv the joints that might work. But that would be just silly.

Last edited:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
You can always try to use NeverWet to create a hydrophobic seal. People do it with iPhones to make them submersible.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The waterproof headphones are a must if you are going in chest deep water as if you step in a hole and get your head wet, the phones are gone. Those of us that search the water use real water proof detectors that have the headphones hardwired and I can dive well below 10 foot. If you intend to search salt water you'll find that the ATP will be unstable most of the time. For best results you need more than one frequency at a time to handle the salt and black sand and still find items over a foot deep. Or you could just not go chest deep with the land headphones and hope you don't trip.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the water proof phones. Once I put mine on I never changed them. Ive been using them for land and water hunting for four years and like them. If your land hunting and it rains, no problem.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours are waterproof up to the bottom of the earmuffs. If you are hunting saltwater with waves, you will need either the Garrett Blue headphones or the Gray Ghost amphibians. I use the Amphibians both on land and water, they are a tighter fit than the standard Garrett's.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours are waterproof up to the bottom of the earmuffs. If you are hunting saltwater with waves, you will need either the Garrett Blue headphones or the Gray Ghost amphibians. I use the Amphibians both on land and water, they are a tighter fit than the standard Garrett's.

I'm thinking about getting the Amphibians soon. I had the Garrett blue pair, but with no volume control I found the level to be very uncomfortable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread