Greenie
Mar 27, 2014
Bay Area, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everybody,
I'm new to MD and have just starting using a new Garrett ACE 350. At this point, I don't mind digging up trash, but I'm getting frustrated digging holes and finding NOTHING after I swore I'd zeroed in on something. Am I just not digging deep enough? Or just need lots more practice? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one and had the same problem. I ditched that thing in a hurry and bought a used XLT and never looked back.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless your particular machine is defective, there's nothing wrong with starting with a 350. I started with and used a 250 for about 4 years before I decided to upgrade and it worked just fine for what I wanted to do until I got more serious about things and wanted something "more" out of the machine.

Try some surface tests of your detector (put some coins out far enough apart to differentiate on a known metal-free area) and get the hang of pinpointing. If I'm remembering right, the 350 has a DD coil, right? Keep in mind how the pinpointing on a DD coil works.... hold your hand out flat and turn it 90 degrees to vertical (like you're going to "karate chop" something). That's the type of area the DD coil surveys.... a longer area, front to back, than other types of coils that kind of put out a cone shape. When you use the pinpoint function, go side to side until you get it under that center line and then rotate your whole body 90 degrees and do it again so you're pinpointing in a + shape. Don't necessarily rely on the depth meter of your detector, but if you use it move the detector around until it's as shallow as it can get and that's probably pretty close.

Do you have an actual pinpointer like the Propointer? I went without one the whole time I had my 250 and now that I have one I can't believe I ever went without one before. Makes retrieval so much easier....

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Just starting a propointer will help you. Before I learned the machine I was digging small pieces of nails and things like that I would have a hard time finding.

Try pinpointing like this. The Garrett dd coil pinpoints very well. Go side to side until you are directly over it in the detection field. As you get closer let go and repress the pinpoint button. Do this until you get a very defined sharp rise and fall of the pinpoint so you know you are directly over it. Then slowly draw the coil straight back until the tone drops off then slightly push it back forward until the pinpoint sound stars to come back. The object will be about 2 inches from the top dead center.
If you are get a lot of tones just walking try reducing your sensitivity down between 4-6 out of 8(max) see if that gives you better hunting.
I know people say dig everything when you start which is true after you know you are getting an object but with your problem I would start my only digging objects that chime on every back and forth pass(at this point doesn't really matter if it's jumping around as long as it's registering.)
Pm if you want any more suggestions or help.

OP
OP
M

MetalHeadAJ

Greenie
Mar 27, 2014
Bay Area, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much, Jeff, for the advice. Really helpful. And I have a cheap handheld pinpointer but don't find it helpful. I'm asking for the Garrett ProPointer for my birthday next month! <fingers crossed>

OP
OP
M

MetalHeadAJ

Greenie
Mar 27, 2014
Bay Area, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fireguy, your suggestions are really helpful as well. Thanks! Will PM you for more suggestions/help when I have time (probably tomorrow). Thanks for the offer!
-AJ

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree a pinpointer will be a big help! If you don't want to spend a lot of money on one, Harbor Frieght has a cheap one for about $20. It doesn't have the depth, but will work if close to a target.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes, a large object will show shallower than actual depth. To test this, hold the coil 8-10 inches above the ground. If the signal still rings strong, it's a large target like a soda can. If the signal disappears, it is coin or ring size. A good pinpointer will help you tremendously. Also be sure you don't have your sensitivity too high, that can cause signals to multiply in mineralized soil.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree a pinpointer will be a big help! If you don't want to spend a lot of money on one, Harbor Frieght has a cheap one for about $20. It doesn't have the depth, but will work if close to a target.

I was going to ask if that was the "cheap, handheld pinpointer" the OP was talking about. I had one of those for about two weeks before the button went out on it and I broke down and got a used Propointer. The vibration doesn't work and sometimes it's a little finicky on real hot days in the sun, but it's miles above the Harbor Freight one. With that one, it wouldn't start making noise until I was about half an inch from the coin anyway, so I could dig and dig looking for the signal, but if my hole was off center by even an inch I wouldn't be able to tell with that little pinpointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread