Headphones: Do They Have To Be So Huge? Can You Use Smaller Headphones or EarBuds???

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I am looking to purchase the AT Pro and it comes with the big ol' massive headphones like many other detectors 20 years ago and for some reason still today!

Why do we need huge bulky heavy headphones that are uncomfortable for the most part and a bit sweaty feeling during summer with the type of technology we have today and also how amazing the sound is with high end smaller headphones and or earbuds???

I know headphones like the Gray Ghost Amphibian and other makes and models are maybe smaller and sleeker then say the stock bulky headphones ... but they are still large probably less comfortable and still sweaty in hot weather .... not to mention regardless still very unattractive (not that that matters over functionality but I can't imagine there isn't something sleeker and smaller and more comfortable then the regular headphones we all see and use). I would assume the big ones are better for sound quality no doubt ... but like I said with today's technology there is nothing smaller or in-ear canal earbuds that are just as good?

I know the AT Pro takes a certain waterproof headphones but if I find something different I will be getting the standard headphone adapter. Amazon.com: AT Pro Headphone Adapter: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Is anyone using something smaller and better that works with the ATP without the adapter?

But I think one thing I may need to consider is most small headphone or buds do not have volume control ... and many detectors like the AT Pro I am looking to get don't have volume control .. so that may be one thing I need consider as well.

That all being said ..... is anyone using something other then the traditional ol big headphones? Smaller headphones? anyone actually using some quality earbuds at all (that have soem kind of volume control)?

Just wanting to get away from these old school looking and feeling headsets is all.

Thanks so much guys and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions! :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well headphones play a huge part really, I know there big but those being big they cover ur ears & block out all those unwanted sounds, so u will be able to hear those subtle changes from the deep faint signals that without ud probly pass over, the ones that come with detectors yes they work, but when u start getting into the grey ghost,killer b u get a nice ear cup soft leather,limiter switches,9' cords(Killerb) warranty on them also tha padding on them makes them.10x more comforting on ur head.
Now is it a pain honestly ya can be ur tied to the detector, so I would go with the killerb wasp,series you can't go wrong very clean sounds & all.the options u will need really, if you would like to wireless, I suggest looking on feebay for a set of tdkwr700 wireless headphones I've used,had a set they are smaller less weight,lighter,& ur not tied to machine & they will work on.any machine,
Last if u do decide ur goin with the Atpro over the mx5 I would highly recommend you get the 5x8 coil & to use any aftermarket headphones u will have to get the adapter

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very nice pair of Sun Ray Golds that I really like when it is cold or extremely noisy. I much prefer earbuds for most detecting. I have pairs costing from $18.00 to over $200.00. I do not find enough difference in sound quality with my hearing to feel like I am giving much if anything up not using the headphones.

I recently bought a pair of Sony's with volume control (unneeded) that are pretty good for under $20.00.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very nice pair of Sun Ray Golds that I really like when it is cold or extremely noisy. I much prefer earbuds for most detecting. I have pairs costing from $18.00 to over $200.00. I do not find enough difference in sound quality with my hearing to feel like I am giving much if anything up not using the headphones.

I recently bought a pair of Sony's with volume control (unneeded) that are pretty good for under $20.00.

I'll agree sunray are good but did hear & saw when I did research that there cord was short, I think its just like a lot of things that you do get what you pay for especially when ur comparing $50 headphones to $125 headphones the things used is big plastic vynle ear cups compared to soft real leather,cord quality structure of them & then u got ur internals aswell. I can see where ur goin when u talk about sound to someone just tossing on a pair of headphones one to the other ya u may not get that but if u actually take the time run threw some tests with both u will see those differences in the 2 on how much outside noise is blocked, the comfort level,options given in each,warranties, ect no I'm.not a vendor but I do believe in getting the most out of what u buy & like to buy once verse a couple of times

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Buy the at pro headphone adapter

Here's an example. http://m.rakuten.com/product/254165145?listingid=298874582&adid=18172

Then buy a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter from RadioShack or whatever you have or online.

Total your looking at about $40 and you can wear any earbuds or headphone you want.

Also get a volume control if want. Because most standard headphones don't have an income volume control.
http://m.radioshack.com/radioshack/...hack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2272471"

Even if you wanted the big headphones for $200 think about how nice of headphones you could buy that could be used for something besides detecting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind if volume control? Your link is the same as the link for the adapter.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tryed all kinds of earbud, beats sony, jvc and work good but cord way to short and end taking them off to dig a plug or they dont stay on my ear so back To the old school , sold my other earbud and bought a garrett pin pointer

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
The volume control doubles as an extension because it's about a 3ft cord with a clip on it to clip it to your clothes or the back part of your detector

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use earbuds on a regular basis especially when its hot.I cut the cord on the standard headphones that come with the AT Pro I went to RadioShack and grabbed a quarter inch headphone jack ..when I'm Way out in the woods I don't even use headphones..

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use both. If it's stinkin' hot, I go light and small. If it's cool I go old school big.

If you're hunting nuggets, you have to be able to hear the tiny distinctions in the threshold.

I also have an external speaker that I mount up on the harness, just below my ear. It's good for solid tones, but it won't catch the subtle distinctions you need for nuggets.

That's why in the ear, or over the ear, is best: it's for when you need to hear those faint disturbances in the threshold. Without headphones or earphones, that's where you'll get burned, when those tiny distinctions count.

All the best,

Lanny

shufflr

Mar 8, 2014
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use ear buds almost all the time and usually only have one in. I hunt a lot of urban areas and don't like headphones which block all sound. With one bud in I can hear my detector well enough and still keep track of the world around me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread