On the ball field, or just the spectator areas?

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just curious...(still trying to acclimate to non-beach detecting)...when hunting old baseball fields, do you hunt the playing area? Or just stay outside the baselines and spectator areas?

I never thought about hunting the field itself as its mainly just the kids in that area. But I met a guy in the park yesterday who said I am missing the boat by ignoring those areas.

Upvote 0

Judepb

Mar 25, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites idx pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt home plate of course and all the bases. I've done good, and of course rite outside the field where the fans are.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt home plate of course and all the bases. I've done good, and of course rite outside the field where the fans are.

Exactly...when I drive by, and no ball game going on, there's always a kid on the mound, one at the plate and usually one sliding into home head first like Pete Rose, spilling all his loose change....see? And...people, if you hunt yards...TRAMPOLINES!!! OMG ive been scooping up the clad by the buckets..thx..ddf

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've actually had the best luck in the outfield about fifty to sixty feet from the skin of the infield. Outfielders often dive for fly balls and guess what comes out of their pockets when they dive?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt the whole area, field and all. I do it in the off season however, if that field has one. Otherwise, I hunt at off-peak hours. No point in asking for complaints.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found some killer rings in the outfield!

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only a word of caution hunting on sporting fields... keep it really neat and check local ordinances before hunting. A lot of sports fields are off limits to detecting because the parks services maintain them and realllllly frown on diggers. If your going to skirt the ordinances off peak and off season hunting are about the only way to avoid a talk with the ranger or police.

As to hunting the outfield. Go for it :) Same goes for any large grassy area. I've had tons of luck in such areas because they are areas where people like to tumble around but they are not areas were people just hang around. They also tend to be areas detectorists avoid simply because it exposes one to public scrutiny. My opinion is that there is very little reason to go Commando while detecting.... but most don't feel this way and so tend to avoid little treasures like and out field, soccer field or large grassy area where groups tend to play ruff and dump good stuff *kinda rhymes hehh*.
Honestly I cant say how many tot lots, play grounds or shady parks I've hunted and found to be squeaky clean only to walk away with a pocket full of goodies doing the open areas.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
DDancer gave some great advice. Be wary of the playing field, parents and coaches have seen too many sprained ankles and other injuries caused by uneven or poorly maintained ball fields. They tend to think that the careful plugs you are hopefully digging will somehow cause an injury. We know that we're not causing damage, but they see it differently. It only takes a few upset parents or coaches to call the parks dept. with complaints to get MD banned throughout an entire park or park system. Although we have a right to be there as much as anyone else, please remember who the sports fields were designed for.

Addressing your original question, I have had most of my luck in the spectator areas, but have also found some goodies in Horne middle of the field. However, my best finds have been on huge very edges of the parks or even in overgrown areas. Best of luck,
Ox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread