Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the coins I'm finding in a specific park are no later than the 1980's. Most in the 1970's. Hitting the obvious spots; volley ball court border, outside the tennis court, etc.

For an active park, seems like the people are real careful with their pocket contents.

Upvote 0

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are hunting the same parks as I am. It took a week before I found an area that had a few nickels and quarters. I have now broadened my search area with dreams of silver and gold. Until then I will keep saving my pocket change to fund me a new high tech redneck detector.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the coins I'm finding in a specific park are no later than the 1980's. Most in the 1970's. Hitting the obvious spots; volley ball court border, outside the tennis court, etc. For an active park, seems like the people are real careful with their pocket contents.

What year was the park built?

OP
OP
D

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the coins I'm finding in a specific park are no later than the 1980's. Most in the 1970's. Hitting the obvious spots; volley ball court border, outside the tennis court, etc.

For an active park, seems like the people are real careful with their pocket contents.
At least you're not digging zinc cents! :laughing7:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cudamark, that's probably because its been notched out like the rest of the pull tabs ;)

Sounds like a park that's been high graded more than a few times. I run into them often. Using pennies as a base to date area's is my method for grading new areas. If our pennies are coming up in the 70's and 80's don't expect to find silver coins. however you should be finding dimes at a minimum and a few nickles in the rubbish. If you have not already, slow down. Also keep in mind what depths your finding older coins *though pennies tend to flourish at all levels look for signs of having been in the ground a good while* and use that info to hit the dimes that I'm sure are there.

As to jewelry.... well gotta dig it all. Unfortunatly a detector has not been made that can tell you what the base metal is your detector is sounding off on. :)

Luck to ya.

Addendum : your hitting the active areas just like any other detectorist would.... take a look at those big grassy areas ;)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He didn't say he was not finding any particular denomination of coin, he just said he wasn't finding newer coins. I suspect that someone with a cheap detector or someone who doesn't want to dig is hitting that park taking all the fresh drops and leaving the deeper/older targets. If you use discrimination set at anything more than iron, you'll miss jewelry. You have to decide what you want to find and set your detector accordingly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread