Mar 23, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites MX5
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out in my yard yesterday and it seemed like every signal I couldn't pinpoint accurately. I'd pinpoint side to side, turn 90, pinpoint again, dig my plug then when i would scan my coil over the hole (no pro pointer...yet) searching for my treasure it'd be 2 or 3 inches another way. So I had to cut out another plug then it would be on the other side of the first hole I dug. So my question is, has this happened to anyone and how can I resolve my problem? Sorry for such a newbie question. Thanks

Upvote 0

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I was out in my yard yesterday and it seemed like every signal I couldn't pinpoint accurately. I'd pinpoint side to side, turn 90, pinpoint again, dig my plug then when i would scan my coil over the hole (no pro pointer...yet) searching for my treasure it'd be 2 or 3 inches another way. So I had to cut out another plug then it would be on the other side of the first hole I dug. So my question is, has this happened to anyone and how can I resolve my problem? Sorry for such a newbie question. Thanks

I still have those missed pinpoints after 4 years. It ain't a newbie question in my opinion.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep..just like Mckinney sez..that does and will happen, though you will see the more you hunt, the better you get and will miss fewer targets. It seems silvers (dimes, quarters, nicks,) have a slight better signal, or a tighter circle than copper, and are easier to pinpoint/locate. If a coin is vertical or on edge in the hole, that will throw you off too, so don't sweat it, just keep the coil to the soil! HH...ddf

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of times if the target is close enough to the surface I can use my Propointer to pinpoint the area I need to dig. Often its a little off from where I expected the target to be.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
A lot of times if the target is close enough to the surface I can use my Propointer to pinpoint the area I need to dig. Often its a little off from where I expected the target to be.

My new Whites TRX PPR is wonderful in how it hones down exact location pre-dig, being the TRX hits 3 inch targets like it does. Just sayin

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm beginning to do this as well, when the coin is shallow enough to register with the PP'r. Saves on digging time and plug size, if needed.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why you are having a problem. Guess it depends on the MD.. but with DD you can go back and fort getting the target centered the keep going back and forth and pull the coil towards you looking at the depth reading.. as soon as it drop, stop, the coin is in front of the coil in the middle.. dig done.
If round left right forward back get it centered, in the center..
Read this, you will be very happy you did.
Truth About Search Coils

OP
OP
WhoDey

WhoDey

Mar 23, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites MX5
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everyone for the replies. It just seemed like it just started happening to me because the last couple weeks the item would either be in my initial hole or in the plug. Oh well...we'll see how it goes today.
On a side note- I think I'll start a beer cap and pull tab collection haha.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't start your pinpoint over what you suspect is the target. Start about 6" to the right or left of your target then move or it and then do it the other way.

Another trick is to put a piece of tape on the center or your coil and that helps. Also run your detector over the plug you cut if you don't have a pointer.

Practice practice practice... The better you know your detector the better ou get

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread