Anyone have a clue as to the field a 2.box detector males

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently picked up.a fisher Gemini two box and need to know if it generates a detection field upward like a VLF or PI because I have a pacemaker and can't have the detection field messing with the pacer. I know these BFO machines to be very strong but I need to know the pattern. Can anyone shed some light on this?)

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would call Fisher and ask before you find out the hard way by someone guessing.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a two box. Its Vlf. Will affect a pace maker... well just about anything will if you read the disclaimers. yep, contact Fisher and see what they have to say. The Field it generates is large but should be stable for any electronics inside it..... not really a lot of power in it.
As to a PI two box..... really? Never heard of one and find it highly unlikely that there ever will be one. Closest to a two box design on a PI would be a tow rig with multiple detectors rigged on it and multiple coils.
Seriously, call and find out. Unlikely it will cause problems but *shrug* sometimes it takes experience to find out. Good luck, honestly, and hope ya find what your looking for.

Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
It runs at 82 kHz. The field is radiated by the transmitter box. We can't say specifically what a pacemaker will or won't do since we don't make them and have no control over their design and specifications.

All that having been said, the level of risk is miniscule.

1. To receive FDA approval, the things have to be fairly resistant to electrical interference. For obvious reasons.

2. Although there is no data I'm aware of pertaining to incidents of interference to pacemakers by handheld metal detectors, there is information on walkthroughs, which get millions of customers a day walking through them and which have been subjected to quite a bit of study regarding this specific question. The magnetic fields of walkthroughs are generally stronger than those that would be radiated by a handheld. Incidents have been extremely rare, and those very few which have occurred the problem almost always resolved itself as soon as the patient exited the walkthrough, no permanent harm done. In such cases the design weakness should be attributed to the pacemaker, since many thousands of pacemakers probably went through that same walkthrough without any problem.

Don't press the transmitter up to the pacemaker, and you should be fine. You'd probably be fine even pressing the thing up to the pacemaker, but why do it if you don't have to?

--Dave J.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I called Fisher and was told that because of the frequency, the type which is a BFO and that my pacer is new and unlike the old ones that were affected by radio frequency that o shouldn't have any problems. Was told that Fisher can guarantee no interference. Going to speak with cardiologist just to make sure. I feel better now that I've spoken with Fisher and the deal I got on the Gemini was great..brand new,never used,hadn't even had batteries placed in it..$100 so not bad considering they go for $800

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Badger, nobody can guarantee you that there is absolutely zero risk. We (Fisher) don't know what the pacemaker does, the manufacturer of the pacemaker doesn't know what the Gemini does, and the cardiologist doesn't know anything regarding electrical interference susceptibility. The best information you can get is what I already provided.

The Gemini isn't a BFO. If it's an oldie, then it's a LF TRF. If it's a Gemini III, it's an LF superheterodyne and I'm the guy who designed it. We also manufacture walkthroughs, that's why I've had to become informed about pacemaker issues.

Assuming that the thing works properly, if you got a Gemini III for a hundred bucks, you darn near stole the thing, congratulations! In on-handle use, the older Geminis are nearly as good, the challenge is finding the right batteries. If that turns out to be an issue, I think our industrial locating dept. sells a kit to convert the stone age 2-box units to AA packs.

--Dave Johnson
Chief Designer, FTP-Fisher

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Dave I must first offer a thank you for clearing some things up. I've since looked at this machine and it is a Gemini 2 not a 3 however I can see hardly any difference at all between the them. As I said it is in practically new condition in fact parts are still in plastic wrap. An odd thing you brought up was the battery which I know of the older series issues and this Gem 2 has double A battery boxes with Velcro which had me confused because I thought only the Gem 3s had that. The young lady I spoke with at Fisher stated that Fisher assures people that machines such as this one shouldn't have any effect on a pacer but was still skeptical because she could just be misinformed. You are stating you designed the Gem 3 so is there a difference between the 2 & 3 as far as what kind it is since the 3 is a LF super heterodyne? I'm certainly not going to knock this detector being its a 2 especially for the price and condition. I really want and need to use it because we have stumbled upon property where we uncovered a cache, thinking we found just the one we were amazed to find a second so now we want to use the two box to check for more and I want to be sure if I turn this thing on im not going to keel over dead. Also I can't find a manual for this Gemini 2 to save my life.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well Dave I must first offer a thank you for clearing some things up. I've since looked at this machine and it is a Gemini 2 not a 3 however I can see hardly any difference at all between the them. As I said it is in practically new condition in fact parts are still in plastic wrap. An odd thing you brought up was the battery which I know of the older series issues and this Gem 2 has double A battery boxes with Velcro which had me confused because I thought only the Gem 3s had that. The young lady I spoke with at Fisher stated that Fisher assures people that machines such as this one shouldn't have any effect on a pacer but was still skeptical because she could just be misinformed. You are stating you designed the Gem 3 so is there a difference between the 2 & 3 as far as what kind it is since the 3 is a LF super heterodyne? I'm certainly not going to knock this detector being its a 2 especially for the price and condition. I really want and need to use it because we have stumbled upon property where we uncovered a cache, thinking we found just the one we were amazed to find a second so now we want to use the two box to check for more and I want to be sure if I turn this thing on im not going to keel over dead. Also I can't find a manual for this Gemini 2 to save my life.

If you have a Battery Plus store close to you they have batteries to match anything. just a thught. rwd mo

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No go on the battery store around here but this Gemini actually uses AA batteries and has the little battery box like that used in a lot of the VLF detectors,like my AT pro so it's rather easy.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The Gemini II is a TRF type design. On-handle (as in cache locating), works nearly as well as the Gemini III. For off-handle tracing pipes & cables the III is much superior, but since you're cache locating that won't matter to you.

I don't know where you'll find a user's manual for the II, but when it comes to on-handle use, the manual for the III is probably close enough to get you started. The most important thing in on-handle use is to find the most responsive spot on the null adjustment, and to carry it carefully to minimize ground pickup. Practice a bit on a known target.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, this two box came with alligator clamp,wires and a plate and I can only assume that this is for finding pipes etc when you use the thing in conductive or inductive mode can't really remember which is which at the moment. I've found one site where a guy speaks of the Gem 2 and how you can split the boxes and use them to find pipes etc but he also speaks of the odd batteries needed and some other things that mine shows a difference. Mine has the newer style battery box using the AA batteries and Velcroes into place, the connectors are like that of the gem 3 and a few other little things so it makes me wonder if maybe the Gem 2 had some minor upgrade before it was discontinued and the Gem 3 was brought in. Also and I really hate to bring it up again but hey im looking at personal safety here, you said this model I have is the TRF model and not that im holding you to this but you said shouldn't be any issues with a pacemaker am I correct, im sure you answered it but humor me that stuff freaks me out a little. Thanks for your help on this.

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your wording you say we, so is there any way the other person could carry the detector and locate any items, then turn the detector off so you both can dig without any worries about your pacemaker? That is an option, for you to consider.

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi woof what LF means, is that a low frecuercy? and regarding the older gemini, what LF TRF means? thank you.

Badger, nobody can guarantee you that there is absolutely zero risk. We (Fisher) don't know what the pacemaker does, the manufacturer of the pacemaker doesn't know what the Gemini does, and the cardiologist doesn't know anything regarding electrical interference susceptibility. The best information you can get is what I already provided.

The Gemini isn't a BFO. If it's an oldie, then it's a LF TRF. If it's a Gemini III, it's an LF superheterodyne and I'm the guy who designed it. We also manufacture walkthroughs, that's why I've had to become informed about pacemaker issues.

Assuming that the thing works properly, if you got a Gemini III for a hundred bucks, you darn near stole the thing, congratulations! In on-handle use, the older Geminis are nearly as good, the challenge is finding the right batteries. If that turns out to be an issue, I think our industrial locating dept. sells a kit to convert the stone age 2-box units to AA packs.

--Dave Johnson
Chief Designer, FTP-Fisher

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low Frequency, Tuned Radio Frequency (single radio frequency). LF Super heterodyned means it uses mixed frequencies.

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low Frequency, Tuned Radio Frequency (single radio frequency). LF Super heterodyned means it uses mixed frequencies.
. Thank you DDancer 😜👍

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well myself if it bothered or give me any kind doubts for it being safe for me i would not use it … But i sort of like being healthy & safe .. If i go to a outing were they have every one is to provide a dish .. I do not eat .. I only eat from the ones dish i know and have been to there house and know how they do things..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread