Minelab Safari with 11" Coil

usa2stay

Aug 10, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Xterra 305
Xterra 705
I have been using my Xterra 305 for about 5 years. I have found oodles of clad, three silver rings and several other interesting items (including a buried flashdrive which I was able to get back to the owner since it still worked)

I think that the technology has advanced so I would like to consider an upgrade. I see that Kellyco has a refurbished Minelab Safari. Has anyone used the Safari ? If so, what have your experiences been with it?

Thanks very much!

Upvote 0

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Safari is a good unit, doesn't have the computer accessibility and tracking features of the etrac , but otherwise I believe it to be the same unit, my hunting partner has been using safari for the last 4 yrs we both just upgraded to the 3030, good luck happy hunting

OP
OP
U

usa2stay

Aug 10, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Xterra 305
Xterra 705
Safari is a good unit, doesn't have the computer accessibility and tracking features of the etrac , but otherwise I believe it to be the same unit, my hunting partner has been using safari for the last 4 yrs we both just upgraded to the 3030, good luck happy hunting

Thank you - this is very helpful. I did not know that the Safari had been out that long.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had one for a year now, it loves the silver. I've found a ton of old coins with it in my first year. Rather easy unit to learn. Put a 13" ultimate coil on it and u pretty much have an etrac from what I've been told.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Safari is very heavy compared to your X Terra, and VERY chatty. It does have the same FBS technology as the Etrac, and I believe is just as deep in stock configuration, it just isn't backlit and has less target ID than the Etrac. I have an 8" Sunray coil on mine for the trashy areas, and like most Safari owners will tell you it is superb on silver like the Etrac. I sometimes wish I had gone for the Etrac, but a lot of us do have some budget restrictions. Another consideration in cost is that changing coils is a PITA due to the coil wire going inside the shaft so most folks buy an extra lower shaft for their extra coils. I have both lower and upper shafts mounted on my coils for the fastest coil changes possible. If you want really deep or relic hunt the Coiltec 15" WOT coil is a wonderful thing. There are often great deals on used coils and shafts for the Safari (ebay), and all the Etrac and SE Pro coils are interchangeable. SEF, Sunray, and Coiltec make a lot of fine coils for these machines.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Safari is a nice upgrade from the X-Terra 305. It is a simplified Explorer in that the Safari only has conductive ID.... which is what most machines on the market use. With all of the coils available for it and the FBS technology, its a great value for those who can't afford the Etrac. :)

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine as a stepping stone to upgrade to the ctx here sometime soon.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Safari is a nice upgrade from the X-Terra 305. It is a simplified Explorer in that the Safari only has conductive ID.... which is what most machines on the market use. With all of the coils available for it and the FBS technology, its a great value for those who can't afford the Etrac. :)

I believe you are mistaken here about the Safari only having conductive ID. It has conductive ID in "coins" and "coins/jewelry" but ferrous in "relic" and "all metal" modes. These are for sound ID. You can also make any of the options have ferrous or conductive sounds by a process Andy Sabish calls 'cross-saving" in his book. When you select coins or coin/jewelry you will see a little C on the screen, and in relic or all metal you will see a little F on the screen so you know which you are in. When you "cross-save" you will see the F appear in coins and coins/jewelry, and visa-versa a little C in relic or all metal as you choose to select. You can also opt for ferrous or conductive in your custom settings. This info about "cross-saving is not in the owner's manual but is explained in Andy's book.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread