Competition Hunt Detector????

yankeetom57

Mar 7, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 600, Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my first comp. hunt in Ok. last weekend had a blast. I did ok, I need work on my recovery time, but still got away with 35 silver dimes, a few quarters and halves, but no tokens for big prizes. I used my F75 which was more than capable but am interested in getting a lighter fast response detector with water proof head, we got dumped on while hunting and had to cover everything up with baggies real PITA. Anybody got any suggestions on a machine that would be good for this? All of the targets were at 1-2 in. so depth is not a real big issue. Thx for input

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Fisher 1235X but I perfer it because of the freq shifter which makes it easy to shift freq if someone is hunting near you..

Not sure you want to buy a water proof detector just because of competition hunts, all you need is a waterproof control cover, coil want be hurt..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with what ya got :) Just need to learn to pinpoint in a flash and perfect using your probe to flip and get the target ;) Nice haul. Treasure Hunter has the right idea... a cover for your detector... heck a plastic bag and just go audio. Nothing like a little rain to clear the field. Hahh!

OP
OP
Y

yankeetom57

Mar 7, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya thought about the rain dust cover for control head but not sure if there is one for battery box it's under the arm cup. I was using my 11" coil and every time I would touch the ground or some blades of grass it would sound off is that normal? I just thought a lighter machine would be faster. Looked at a eurotek pro and thought about one of the tesoro machines, seems like they would hold up better to the competition rigors.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it's more important to have the proper coil. If it's a small hunt area and lots of targets, I use a small elliptical coil that's easy to pin point. That helps cut my recovery time.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tesoro Cibola is one of the fastest comp machines I have ever used.

Operating Frequency 14.3 kHz, 14.5 kHz, 14.7 kHz
Searchcoil Type Monolithic (Carbon Fiber)
Searchcoil Size 9 x 8
Searchcoil Family Delta
Cable Length Approx. 3'
Audio Frequency Approx. 293 Hz or VCO
Audio Output 1 ½" speaker and headphone jack
Headphone Compatibility ¼" stereo plug
Weight (may vary slightly) 2.2 lbs
Battery Requirement One 9 Volt DC (alkaline)
Battery Life (typical) 10 to 20 hours
Optimum Temp. Range 30° to 100° F
Optimum Humidity 0 to 75% R.H.
Operating Modes Pinpoint All Metal
Silent Search Discriminate

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After years of hunting, my vote goes with a low end Tesoro. You can't beat the pinpointing, depth to 8+ inches, light weight, fast swing, and I've never had freq cross talk

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
I designed the old Fisher 1236-X specifically for competition hunting (light weight, fast response, continuous (potentiometer, not switch) frequency shifting, beep-and-dig), but oddly enough the advertising failed to follow through and say so!

--Dave J.

OP
OP
Y

yankeetom57

Mar 7, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the heads on the tesoro rain proof? What size ,type coil were you using?

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro heads can be submerged so yes they are rain proof

OP
OP
Y

yankeetom57

Mar 7, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thx might have to do a little research and see which one I like

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife and I use several Tesoro Umax detectors with very good results. Light weight, simple and fast. Ours are older models no longer made, but often found used. The Silver umax is a current model still in production and as Terry mentioned up above the Cibola is an excellent choice as well.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread