tea gardens in santa barbara

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should start out saying that this thread is to chronical what I hope will be a great hunting spot. I was out at the river with a long time friend of mine and brought my detector with me to hunt the shore. Well she really got into it. I had remembered that her grandmother owned one of the 5 oldest mansion on the Riviera and wanted to ask her if I could hunt around her Grandmas home. All along I forgot that they also own a property that is almost as old as the mission, that used to host the Queen of England and other people of high importance...she is going to ask her grandmother when she gets back into town if we can go and hunt the grounds. I'm so excited for what's to come and to share with you guys my finds I could not wait to tell the story till after it has truly started.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Interesting history. Did towns-people used to go out there to picnic or camp? Or was it strictly a singular family concern ?

Good luck and let us know how you do ! I've done a lot of detecting in Santa Barbara.

OP
OP
simbad42

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was a singular family estate, the part of history that gets good is in the early 1900's Legend has it that from about 1917 until Henry Bothins death in 1923, the elaborate tea parties and other gatherings were quite the social events of the day. Aside from the tea house, the grounds also contained a 200-seat amphitheater, which was located above the spectacular water works display and was a viewing area constructed of concrete benches. The amphitheater overlooked both a large stage as well as the pool. The stage reportedly supported renditions of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer's Night Dream" and the pool was often used to showcase synchronized swimming shows. For several years following Henry's death the tea parties were put on hold, and ultimately, Ellen moved from the home to take up residence in El Mirasol, an estate-turned hotel at what is now Alice Keck Park Park.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hmm, I looked over the available history on the web about this spot, and didn't see the mention of large social gatherings, parties, crowds, etc.... It looked like a singular family deal.

If it's true that there were outside visitors coming in for such events, gatherings, parties, etc.... then ... that would make it akin to a "park". I'm curious if it's ever been detected before then. Because seeing as how there's no shortage of md'rs in the Santa Barbara area, and seeing as how this spot is "no secret" to the history books, then ... odds are .... someone's detected it.

Oh, and even if your current contacts/permissions tell you "no one's ever detected here before", then doesn't mean a whole lot. It might just mean they simply aren't aware. You know, like previous owners let someone in. Or other members of the family, or a worker invites his buddy, or .... people just have simply ... uh .... gone.

If you do good, let us know. If you need some help, I'm only 3-ish hours away :) I'll show you some sites down your way, in exchange, that've porked out reales, seateds, etc.... in exchange :)

OP
OP
simbad42

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure when they bought the property, I do know up until a year or so before the tea fire that they had been paying a grounds keeper to take care of the place. But the city made it so he could not have his trailer (that he was living in) legally stay there. I also know that a hiking trail passes through a corner of the property.and during the 70's one of the big pools had been used for a skate bowl.till the city hit it with some TNT. And since then the only time I hear it mentioned is by local kids talking about sneaking up there for a bonfire. ( that's how the "tea fire" got started)
So I'm not sure if in the past it was more public or not, but I would hope that if it had been private this whole time that any other M.D'ers would have asked before trespassing.
I'll be sure to let you know what all I find. And I would really like to meat up and hunt the place together if its any good.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... And I would really like to meat up and hunt the place together if its any good.

I'm game :) Sample it and let's see ! :) Always enjoy getting down your way. I can bring some extra machines so we can compare over flagged signals, etc.... There's a few places down your way I've been wanting to get back down on to.

Be aware though: that at this time of year, un-kempt country-side type places will be over-run with spring growth. Any "cow-pasture" type chapparel landscape type site, is hard to hit this time of year. Unless it's been mowed down ?

OP
OP
simbad42

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I run into tall grass I have a board with rope looped onto the ends that I use to stomp it down. I am more worried about*rattlesnakes then the grass though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread