what do you do with bent-dented-cut coins??

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just wondering what everybody does with all the coins you find that have fallen victim to lawn mower blades? i have a jar full of them, i dont want to get rid of them, i like my jar of misfit coins, i'd like to know if anybody else collects them or what they may do with them,
thanks

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quarters I hammer Flat, & if there is enough of it left yet (60% has worked)
I use them at Aldies in the Shopping Cart.

Dimes Nickles & pennies, I hammer flat & if all there I mix them with loose change &
when I need a bit of change at a fast food restaurant or store, I just hand it to them like it's "my last piece of change" take it or leave it :laughing7:

the rest I just keep in my cash Register drawer here at home till I can find a use.

Rotted Zinclons will either go into a buried cache one day,
Or back to the mint if they ever recall all pennies.

any coin that has been shot, I keep as a collectable

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a jar full same as you. Some real ugly ones too.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had never given it much thought of what to do with the coins i have that won't work in the coinstar machines.

I have a coffee can full of what I call mower coins and rotted zinclons. I guess on a rainy day i will hammer out some of the bent ones and keep the rotted zinclons until they become collectable...lol

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I accumulate them in a jar....makes a good conversation piece on the desk.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn Im Going to Get A Lot Of Comments on This One!!!

Lets all Find A Way to Donate them To The IRS Or Get the Treasury to Accept Them As Damaged Coins BAD CHUG BAD BAD CHUG!!! Just the Crusty Zink ones though Before they Dissolve to Nothing

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Or back to the mint if they ever recall all pennies.

I like this idea. Right now, the mint's mutilated coin policy can charitably be called unfair. The cent coin will go away sooner or later, and we may be able to dispose of our rotted zincolns under more favorable terms when this happens.

Plan B is to throw them at zinc lobbyists.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others, I try to flatten the bent ones and then run it through the Coinstar machine. All the rejects (rotten Zincs and all) that fail the Coinstar test, go to my local detecting club as a donation to charity along with the pull tabs. I guess they have a sympathetic bank that will take the mutants.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep the bent ones, I have tumbled some so they are a shinny half eaten coin!
The rotted zinc I need to find a solution to stop the corrosive process before there is nothing left but a corrosive pile dust!
Not sure what to do with them, maybe spend a few at a time with other change.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Does the bank have to replace them if you take them in?

No. If those coins are mutilated badly enough, they can refuse. Then you're left dealing with the mint:

https://www.usmint.gov/email/MUTILATEDCOIN.PDF

In short, you need at least a pound of them and you're responsible for getting them there. They then decide if you sent them pennies or not. You're then paid $1.45 per pound in 6-8 weeks, with the understanding that there are 181 zincolns to the pound. (Their numbers, not mine.) So even if you sent them $1.81 in BU zincolns, you'd receive $1.45 for them. It gets even worse when you consider that the bulk of the coin is zinc, but the zinc is what rots out the quickest, thereby lessening the weight of the coin even more quickly. There's also this part which I particularly like:

U.S. Mint said:
Any underweight coin will not be processed for redemption and all shipping expenses and risk involved with the Mutilated coins shipped to the Mint will be
incurred by the shipper.

Which is legalese for saying that they don't have to accept your ate-up zincolns at all, but you're still out the cost of shipping them in. Taken with the fact that the zincolns themselves are basically designed to self-destruct if they end up in a wet environment but may not be spendable in that condition...as I said earlier, this could charitably be called unfair. It's as if they know the things won't last and don't want them back, which I suspect is the case.

Slipping them into rolls of decent pennies is probably more efficient, but I'd like it even better if I could just take the damned things back and exchange them for new pennies; also, some of mine are so badly eaten up that they really wouldn't fit properly in a coin roll, even if they're identifiable as pennies.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I throw em in the trash.

Top Member Reactions