What detector for $150-250 - Chime in please

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thinking of buying a detector for my wife this summer, unsure which to consider. I prospect so shed be doing some of this with me but would likely relic and coin shoot more often. Fishers f2 looks like a good bang for the buck. Haven't researched much want to hear from some people about their machines and experiences.
Thank You
Happy Days!-Happy Hunting!
AJR

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It'll still be awhile before I buy for the wife, she wants a pool for the kids before a detector. But I started out thinking the F2 and have checked out the Eurotec Pro and like it very much also. I've been loving my Gold Bug Pro so much I cant say i'm not biased tword the Fisher machines. Also the Time Ranger looks good as a second/backup machine for the price.
Thanks to everyone for chiming in i'll update when my wife advances from a detectorists assistant (AKA Digger) to a detectorist herself.
Ajr

You can't go wrong with the Eurotek. Teknetics makes some really nice DEEP hitting machines at great prices.

The Tek Delta 4000 may be worth looking at too. Retails at 279.00 new and it's VERY EASY to operate; real simple and great performance. I'll warn you that my opinion is biased because I use one but I love it.

Eurotek is supposed to be a bit better but it's probably a matter of personal preference. You can't go wrong with either.

This may be a dumb question but if you ask her do think it will make the choice any easier or more difficult?? I was married for a very long time and I know sometimes it's way easier to just make the decision. Otoh, if she doesn't like your choice, well, you know.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Hopefully you'll choose the one that's best suited for her.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The suggestion for the Time Ranger above is a great one especially for the price. While it isn't a fast detector like the Compadre and Delta it is deeper and has many features. I would say for the money, the Time Ranger V4 beats the compadre easily! The compadre is a bit better on smaller items, just not as deep and nowhere near as feature rich. I have all those detectors and have experimented and tried them all under different conditions.

fliermartin

Sep 11, 2014
southeast wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATgold and Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once she gets use to what ever machine you get her she will be fine. I would look more to what type of features you want the machine to have. Does she want a concentric coil or a dd coil. I prefer the dd coil for beginers as it works beter for less disciplined coil sweep overlap. does she want a machine with a 2 digit ID or is a segmented ID fine. DO the ground conditions require a machine with ground balance or is preset ground balance fine. The name on the detector doesn't matter as much as the features it has. Good luck.

Doc Chocobo

Greenie
Nov 20, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Timeranger
HF9F
Micronta 4003 (way back in the day)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own the Time Ranger and it's already serving me well. Found all kinds of interesting things. If you put the included sniper coil on it, it's a great trash picker.

You know, its kinda like choosing a motorcycle that you like, one you feel comfortable riding and becomes a part of you. I suppose it's the same, having read many of the replies here. I would think the best way would be to let her try a few different ones if you know some people with them around you, or take her to a dealer that sells many different brands.

That's really cool that your wife is interested in the hobby. It's more fun when two people share interests like that. Wish I could get my wife into it.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look into the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. I think you can get one for about $230. This will blow away the F2 in features and comes with the 11" DD coil.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another vote for the F2 only because the recovery time on the 250 is way too long. Although the DD coil on the 350 is nice to have to avoid digging nearly all bottle caps. Maybe not an issue where you are.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder what he bought back in 2013? :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread