Garrett Pro Pointer advice requested

Eagle59pes

May 14, 2014
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am somewhat new to metal detecting and I have a Minelab Safari. After a few trips with the Safari, I have been researching and discovered that it might be beneficial (maybe necessary) to purchase a pinpointer. The Garrett Pro Pointer appears to be a pretty good middle of the road pinpointer. Would those of you with experience recommend the Garrett for someone new to detecting? If so, where would you recommend purchasing to get the lowest price? Thanks for any advice!

Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have none such as yourself, you should buy the Whites TRX is is far superior to the ProPointer and cost about the same.
If you wait a while and watch the classified those with Propointers that now have the TRX will be dumping them.. but I would rather have the TRX than a half price PP.
Call or PM Phil at
Myers Metal Detectors
He can give you a price on both!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett has been the choice of many for years. The new Whites TRX is showing it's worth also. Those are two good choices. If I can help you, don't hesitate to call or PM.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
got my pro-pointer from kellyco...love it!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Garrett Pro Pointer and to me it is so far the best one out .. And if you have a Minelab detector you really do need a Pin Pointer..

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recommend the TRX. I have both and prefer the Whites' over the Garrett.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last i knew the Garrett was about $127.50 and the new Whites is a little pricier but has only been on the market a short while so I can't speak honestly about it. The Garrett is good pointer and they sometimes give you a small fit by beeping on their own but the simple cure is turn it off and back on

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah my Garrett was $127 and the White's TRX was $135 from my local White's dealer.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Contact Bart at big boys hobbies. He'll beat 127$

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am somewhat new to metal detecting and I have a Minelab Safari. After a few trips with the Safari, I have been researching and discovered that it might be beneficial (maybe necessary) to purchase a pinpointer. The Garrett Pro Pointer appears to be a pretty good middle of the road pinpointer. Would those of you with experience recommend the Garrett for someone new to detecting? If so, where would you recommend purchasing to get the lowest price? Thanks for any advice!
Personally I would avoid the garrett altogether. I have been through two and both gave me fits with falsing. I have the minelab and the white's and prefer the white's, and theb the minelab, with the garrett in a distant third.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that price range, the White's TRX is the one I would get. I've heard nothing but positive feedback about it. If you have deeper pockets, I like the Uniprobe system. It goes through the headphones. It has a nice small waterproof wand and is attached to the headphones with a coiled cable. That also keeps you from leaving it laying around somewhere and losing it.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRX arrived today... Had a little trouble at first because it was so sensitive, until I read the instructions... Go figure! Glad I got it... Now I will have to give that 18 inch coil another try on the Quattro... It was real aggravating to dig deep and give up because it was hard to get a good pinpoint... This will help!

neworder

May 5, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 and Titan 9000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+1 for the TRX. About 90% of my targets I can pinpoint the exact location before digging. I find myself using the pinpoint mode on my detector less and just use my TRX.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread