jcgso

Greenie
May 20, 2014
Kernersville NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all, new here with a question about getting a new detector. I will be hunting for relics and coins/jewelry in North Carolina and possibly Virginia. The soil here is solid red clay.
I'm considering a Teknetics Euro Tek Pro with 11" DD coil. Would this be a good choice?
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello JCGSO,

I live in Charlotte and I use a Garrett AT Pro. I hunt for coins, but find all sorts of stuff. The AT Pro seems to handle the red clay. One of my friends has a Garrett Ace 350, and it seems to work too. I don't know teknetics, so I can't comment on that.

Any machine that has ground balance should work for you.

Most of the places that I hunt, have a layer (4" to 12") of organic material, on top of the clay. That "dirt" is dark and easy to dig through. When the red clay is dry, it is hard as concrete, I am sure you know this. I try to avoid it. The only good thing is that, coins don't sink very deep in that red clay.

I hope that this is helpful. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me...... If you have an awesome spot to hunt, don't hesitate to PM me and invite to come along! Greensboro aint that far away...

GL&HH, Carolina Tom.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need a machine with GB for sure and the ETP (very good machine in mild soil) is a fixed GB machine.

OP
OP
J

jcgso

Greenie
May 20, 2014
Kernersville NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tom and Fletch.
So, not to get too far off budget and have GB, I'm looking at the Teknetics Gamma 6000. Its closer to my budget with the 10" coil and about $90 more for the 11" DD. Is it worth the difference or am I better off putting the extra $ toward a good pinpointer?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also consider the X-Terra 505 or 705. It is a great machine that you can change the frequency of by changing the coil. There are 3, 7.5 and 18.75 kHz coil choices which all have uses depending on hunting conditions and targets sought after.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will need a machine with GB for sure and the ETP (very good machine in mild soil) is a fixed GB machine.

I dunno what the clays are like in NC, but around here we have VERY highly ferrous gounds and the ETP has been handling em very well and that's with the concentric not the DD. I would imagine the DD to be that much better!

OP
OP
J

jcgso

Greenie
May 20, 2014
Kernersville NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fella, where are you located? I don't know if the clay soil is highly mineralized here. I have read nothing but great reviews about the ETP, but from the other posts, I might need GB. I'm now looking at the Teknetics Gamma 6000 and maybe Fisher F5. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but I don't want to have to upgrade quickly.

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the Raleigh area and have no problems with my AT Pro either. Almost all of the sites in the area are very trashy so you might want to consider a smaller coil rather than a bigger one. I use my 5" x 8" most of the time.

Last edited:

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the teknetics gamma and love it! Took some getting used too though (still learning it), as it seems to be very sensitive. I can't comment on the clay in NC, as I have not hunted there. The soil here seems to be for the most part pretty mild. That said, conditions can and do change. I have went from hard packed dirt, to gravel, to sand, to moist loamy dirt, all in the same hunt. The ground balance is a plus for sure. And ground balancing the gamma is really easy using the "ground grab" feature. Manual ground balancing is also an option. Oh, by the way, we do have clay here as well. It may not be the same type or as concentrated though. Terrain and ground composition here can vary quite a bit in a hurry IMO. I have the stock 8" concentric, 5" & 11" DD coils for my gamma and they all seem to work really well here. I use the 5" for tight or trashy areas, the 8" for general purpose, and the 11" for larger areas like big parks, soccer and ball fields ect. If it were me, I would purchase with the stock coil and use the other towards a pinpointer. Less time recovering a target = more time to find another one! Hunted for a year without a pinpointer......Very frustrating at times, I didn't know what I was missing until I got one, now I can't imagine hunting without one! Whatever you do, good luck and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread