Relic vs coin detectors. Real or myth?

Deltav700

Jan 26, 2013
Secane, PA
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read on forums that one detector is better for coins while another is better for relics. Is this true or one of those unsubstantiated myths that seems to self-propagate? Aside from the obvious meaning of the words, what does this mean? Is there really a difference between 2 equally priced metal detectors in their ability to detect coins or relics? Does a "relic" detector miss coins that a "coin" detector would find? I own a Fisher cz5 which I read is more of a coin detector while the Garrett ATPro is a better relic detector or vice versa. Really? Is there a difference in the field and if so why? Is it strictly a matter of the frequency?

Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes some machines are better for certain task. Both will detect coins and relics. Relic machines tend to be higher freq and will be more sensitive to smaller items and lower conductors like lead, buttons, brass and the like. Coin machines tend to be lower freq and will generally be better on higher conductors like copper, silver and such. Of course a lot if not most depends on the electronics and its ability to decipher its signals.
Most mid to high end machines will detect both just fine. Some will excel in in certain areas of course.

You have a CZ5. Excellent coin and relic hunter. 2 freqs…high & low. Really no need to "upgrade" unless you are just looking to get into something lighter.

Last edited:

chopperdog

May 18, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO / Minelab X-Terra 705 /Minelab 505 / XP Deus / Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many factors play into effect. --- I've owned a lot of detectors, and sometimes take two different types into the field to compare a find, before digging. IMHO, most any detector will find a 6" deep coin, in most any soil. I do not like to dig trash, so I spend a lot of time doing my best to identify my finds before digging. Undoubtably, I have 'passed' on some gold jewelry, and who knows what else. I hunt for silver coins, and am happy to dig only silver coins.--- Will let a younger more limber person dig the 'questionables'. --- I do know this, if you don't swing your detector over it, you won't find it. No matter if is a $200 unit, or a $5000 piece. --- HH & Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread