Am I asking for trouble?

sideshowbob

Jun 21, 2013
Found a early 1800's town I'm interested in running my coil through. It's one of those small Midwest towns with a nice town square right dab snap in the middle. There are no ordinances against detecting or even recovering items from the dirt. I'm thinking of testing the waters there. If I do try, I would go at day break and not stay too long in the first place. Ya know, stay outa the line of fire and such. Any thoughts, or even previous experience, on the likelihood of getting some flak for it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sideshowbob

sideshowbob

Jun 21, 2013
I think it would be too hard not to. It's full of ginormous trees, short grass, and I hope a pot of gold coins that fell out of a leprechauns a$$ :D

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've looked up the rules and there is nothing prohibiting metal detecting, I'd hunt it! Always a good idea to do stand-out areas like that in the off hours. Just because it isn't illegal to hunt doesn't mean you want to draw attention to it. There is always someone that will get their nose out of joint, and in a small town, they know everyone. If they know someone important, they may be able to get the law changed in a hurry! Good hunting and let us know what you find!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would check in with local law enforcement first. They may not be aware that there is no statute prohibiting it, and getting your detector confiscated until the court case would suck.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check in with local law enforcement first. They may not be aware that there is no statute prohibiting it, and getting your detector confiscated until the court case would suck.

Doubt it. Most like nothing will happen and worse case Sideshowbob would just get run off.
Go for it Bob.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Act like you belong there and not uncomfortable or shifty,looking around nervously ect. Just doing something you do is all.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you said bob hit it at daylight and pack up when people start moving around.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your bag of trash you've dug handy to show anyone that approaches you, just doing a good deed while get'n a little exercise. GL. HH!

chopperdog

May 18, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO / Minelab X-Terra 705 /Minelab 505 / XP Deus / Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like some of the others have said, I would not try to hide, just go about your normal detecting routine. If approached by law enforcement, I would claim ignorance, be humble, and apologize. 99% of the time, they will just ask you to leave, no big deal. ---- I would not carry a long handled digger that resembles a shovel, although these are the ones I prefer, they tend to create a defensive attitude with people. A regular Lesche type digger will probably be more acceptable to the public. (and even at that I would not wear it on my belt) ---- Do as little damage as possible, (preferably none), and try to avoid weekends when the public is out and about. Good Luck and HH--

OP
OP
sideshowbob

sideshowbob

Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for all the great advice! I'm gonna hit it in mornin'. Sounds like everyone is thinking the same as me. Heck, I'll even bring a throw to put my hole dirt on. I'll take pics for y'all's enjoyment :)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

say WHAT? excuse mister police officer, I noticed there were absolutely no laws in town forbidding metal detecting. Can you please enact some so I know for sure I can't detect here.

Tool

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a T-Shirt with the words "Recovery Unit" printed on it!:laughing7: Make it a black one so the people think you're a pro officer recovering evidence! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

boatlode: just curious: Do you have any examples you can cite to us, of any md'r facing "confiscations" and "court-cases" for detecting an innocuous park, to which there is no rule that said "no metal detectors" ? If you can give us any examples of that, I would love to see it.

My hunch is any examples you can give of "confiscations" and such, are someone who can't take a warning, or someone night-sneaking sensitive historic monuments, or places with a distinct "no detecting" rule, etc....

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wear some "traffic safety" hi-viz colors or better yet a safety vest. People will think you're working.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds crazy but I rarely get approached if I wear my uniform shirt from work.
Had a guy ask me once if I was looking for a buried gas line, I said gawd I hope not :D

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have worn a fire department jacket with HazMat Response team on it.

I had people ask if there was any hazardous materials around.

I told then i had not found any and they were happy.

OP
OP
sideshowbob

sideshowbob

Jun 21, 2013
Well I showed up at six this morning and o lucky me. The whole square was blocked off for the town carnival. Just my luck I guess. I went to plan b and hit the other spots in town I researched. Got a bunch of junk, my favorite bit o junk is the quarter turned pendant with a swoosh stamped out of it. $5.19 clad. The icing on the cake was my last hole. I had a pocket spill of 3 quarters and 3 dimes...all 19 fricken 65!

OP
OP
sideshowbob

sideshowbob

Jun 21, 2013
Forgot the pic.

Attachments

• image-1529146424.jpg
    image-1529146424.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 78

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread