"Metal Detecting is the Worst Hobby Ever"

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not for everyone...A reality check is better than the Kellyco commercial with the guy in the woods describing a buddy's ring find worth several thousand as he is pulling out jewelry and claiming "almost every time I find something of value!"... These efforts to increase sales make us look like we are all cashing in on others lost items... No mention of how most of us would try to find the owner or the real service we perform removing sometimes dangerous objects along with trash! Those in detector sales should make more of an effort to show us in a better light! Their present tactics will only hurt the hobby!

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Had: Tesoro Silver Umax.
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Have: Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every time I find something I wonder about what life was like when the coin was made and the kind of people who held the coin, whether it be pirates or a homesteader from 1920. The people who expect to get rich from this and don't respect the history of what they find will never like metal detecting. Finding something valuable is only a small part of the reason we metal detect.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wonder what she did with the poor bounty hunter?

My guess is she is still using it when her family isn't around. Its like malaria - once you are bitten, you never get rid of it.

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be truthful here, that is what is it is exactly like for me, and i love it! Dont get me wrong i do not agree at all with her opinion of the hobby. But as far as how tough it gets to actually be able to find meaningful area to explore and the all the negatives that come along with it, like bugs, getting dirty , pesky people bothersome over the public easement(better to just move on then fight it past the public easement point). She does do this story justice in that area but she failed horribly in other areas.

A vacation, i guess typically 1-2 weeks for most people, is not near enough time for this hobby or any hobby at that to master and enjoy. Two i saw no enthusiasm at all for historical items, or the mystery that comes with finding some of even the simplest items. For example, who had it, what was life like at time, what made this item or that item get lost or buried. Nothing like that at all other then a mention of basic mention of history. No mention of numismatic interest or precious metal interest, no interest in historical caches of lost treasure, hidden treasures, pirate booty lost at seas or hidden. The enthusiasm that was shown was short lived by unreasonable expectations. her machine was entry level and no mention of better gear for better results was in the story that i recall.

Overall i came away from this story with the sense that the writter is a pessimist rather then optimist, fueled by aforementioned expectations and easily discouraged. I suspect most of her hobbies were short lived. As for her comment of not exercise, she obviously either dug in sand pits the whole time or didn't dig much at all, which leads me to believe not much effort was put into it. Here you gon' be working, sweating and getting nasty digging just about anywhere, and it will break all but the best dig gear and easily broken spirits trying too.

I just started this hobby in june again after doing it as a youngun with my grandfather on our beach trips in the 80's (to find free sinkers and fishing gear, i never found anything but that with him he may have dunno). I start in the middle of texas summer, with reasonable expectations and a enthusiasm and want to enjoy not only finding things, but exploring the history, the past of this area, spending time outdoors, and to get a lil exercise with the kids. It 100% has beaten sitting in the house with the kids doing nothing. Best thing i found so far? A 1944 war nickel. yet i look forward to upgrades of my machines, have a garrett pinpointer on the way now, and cant wait to get out and look again when i find a spot that catches my eye.

This story is partially inaccurate to anyone truly interested in all the things this hobby offers. Who cares what the negatives are, its the long term positives and enjoyments of those interested in it all that is what counts.

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been doing this since March. Like her in the beginning I didn't find a lot. I started with a $75 used Bounty hunter I found on Craigslist. Unlike her, I realized that I needed to learn so I came here and devoured all the info and tips I could get my hands on. Watched hours of detecting videos. Asked questions. I have dug tons of trash already. But then I started finding coins, then jewelry. I have found enough cash to upgrade to the F5 I am swinging now. I have had days that my first instinct was to toss my detector, but I am glad I haven't. This hobby has helped teach me patience and perseverance. Before this I was really into fishing, which detecting is a lot like. Then I realized I don't like fish. So I took up detecting. Detecting is fun like fishing and once in a while it does give me something I do like. Unlike this so called journalist, if I had not liked this hobby, I would not have labeled it the worst. I would have said it was not for me. I don't see why she hasn't given up writing yet. She isn't very good at that either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread