Strategy?

zendog64

Mar 31, 2006
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I always get overwhelmed when MDing large swatches of land, so I'm curious to hear what strategies you guys (and gals) use to detect large wide-open spaces with the most efficiency. A veteran MDer once advised me to work the perimeter first, and then go in concentric circles toward the middle. This works fine at first, until you get to the point where you look like an idiot standing in the middle of field twirling around in circles.

I've also tried sub-dividing the area into smaller zones. The problem with this is that, inevitably, I will walk away from the area (to grab a drink, take a leak, change a battery, run from a swarm of bees, etc.) and will completely lose track of where I was. Also, this seems to take even more time than the concentric circle strategy.

I'm considering a few other options:

1. Targeting prime areas first (areas where the soil looks to have been disturbed, walls, indentations, mounds, etc) and then going back over the "boring" parts later.

2. Digging only shallow targets first, then returning at a later date for the deeper targets.

3. Mark all the targets without digging, then digging them all at once afterward (rather than digging as I hit the targets).

If anyone can tell me the most efficient method of covering a lot of ground at once, I'd be much obliged.

Upvote 0

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I grid...which I haven't done in years...I do it with those little marker flags utilities use to mark underground pipes/lines (I got 50 of them at Menards for $2). I mark a square using four flags...about 10' wide by 20' long. After I finish the square, I move the rear flags forward about 20 more feet ahead of the forward flags. Hunt, repeat. Hunt, repeat. And like an earlier poster said, I'll start out with the big boy coil.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread