Obsidiantalon

Jun 26, 2014
Southwestern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone!

I have been lurking here on TreasureNet for some time, and have gleaned a lot of great information! Thanks for that! :)

I wanted to say a quick hello in this forum, as I have just purchased a metal detector and gotten out with it a few times. I purchased a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I know this is very much an entry level machine, and I'm fine with that for now. I do plan on upgrading down the line. I wanted to ensure that I enjoy the hobby as much in practice, as in research. So far, I've found it to be quite enjoyable! My only struggle thus far is finding a decent location. I have been out to 'practice' in my own back yard and woods, and one local park, near the baseball diamond. I have found a handful of clad and more bullets, bullet casings, shotgun shells, pull tabs, etc. than I can count. Any suggestions from anyone familiar with southwestern Virginia are definitely welcome! As is any other advice for a newbie, just starting out! :)

Thanks everyone, and happy hunting!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, NY! :occasion14:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet..JPG Just start out swinging around town and see what turns up. Its an interesting hobby even with the junk we find. No need to upgrade unless you want too.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
O

Obsidiantalon

Jun 26, 2014
Southwestern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! And Airscapes, thank you for the reading material! I've gone through both once, and will go back for a re-read after I've got a bit more practical experience to compare all of the info to!

Just came back inside from my "Lunch break" and managed to unearth an old cake pan, some sort of small plate (Aluminum, I believe? Nice high tone, exciting to hear!) and a couple of very crumbly wads of aluminum foil. Pulled all of these out from under a huge tree on the back side of the property. I guess someone had a picnic there at one point, and left some of their stuff. Maybe they rushed off to get out of a sudden shower? Maybe it was a young couple and the lady's dad broke up the party? Crazy to think of the "possible" history behind some of this stuff. Or maybe I just have an overactive imagination!

Thanks again everyone! :)

morris-code

Jan 18, 2014
VH, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to TNet from another newbie. I got started this spring after the ground thawed out here in the Midwest and am having a blast! I've learned that location is a key factor in being consistently successful and a quality pinpointer is a valuable tool. Good luck!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice to someone new is to try to get on all the old yards you can. Start with family or coworkers yards and graduate to knocking on doors. Most public places have had a lot of people detect them before. Old yards are where you will find hopefully untouched by others. What is the worst they can say no?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome!looking up old maps of your area could be helpful.Try typing in "old maps of your county and state"I found one of my whole area that show's where old plantation's,and homesteads use to be as far back as 1863.The roads and such might be a little different on the old maps,but if you find one of your area it might give you a good idea of locations to look!Someone posted a video some time back of using something called 'google crome",where you can actually make a modern map transparent and over lay it with a old map to give a pretty accurate location of where old places use to be,looks like it would be a awesome tool,but for some reason I cant download it.I am not very computer savvy ,but If I can find the link to that post,I will try to post it!joe

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you are driving around keep an eye out for potential spots. Most of my spots were found driving around.

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice to someone new is to try to get on all the old yards you can. Start with family or coworkers yards and graduate to knocking on doors. Most public places have had a lot of people detect them before. Old yards are where you will find hopefully untouched by others. What is the worst they can say no?

I agree completely, but I'd also add that you need to practice your plug-digging
and replacement technique first. Be sure you can dig a plug in a lawn, recover the
target, and replace the plug so that your dig is completely (or VERY nearly)
undetectable. Until you can do that, you're not ready to detect and dig on
private lawns. It took me quite a bit of practice on different lawn types
before I felt I was pretty good at it. Good luck!

--Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread