Need Advice on 1st MD

jackiedanger

Apr 7, 2014
Foresthill, Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I really need some advice on what kind of MD to get. I have a friend who says he can get me a screaming deal on MineLabs. My boyfriend wants to get me one as an anniversary present, and hes of the mind set that I should get a really good. I want to look in and around our creek for gold, along the trail for gold in quartz, and I want to scope out some old mining camps on our property. If its not too much trouble, could also tell me some tools that would help the process? Thanks!
Jackie

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospecting is one if the most difficult forms of detecting from what little I know about it. Try to find a club or another Detectorist in your area to show you the ropes because you can spend anywhere from $500 to $5000 on just the detector depending on how serious you want to get about it. There will be many members who know that aspect of the hobby chime in I'm sure. Good luck and welcome aboard!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab Xterra's are great machines, nice and light, and able to use higher frequency coils which are supposed to be better at finding gold.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, without knowing your budget it's hard to give a good answer. If you can stand the price, the GPX5000 is top of the line in gold nugget hunting. At the lower end of the scale, a Gold Bug 2 is a great machine for the money. An AT Gold, 705, Eureka, ATX, SD2300, Lobo, and GMT are in the mix too. You'll want a rock hammer, pry bar, hand digger, shovel, and a plastic gold pan too. Don't forget a secure container for all that gold you find! :laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Xterra 705 with the dual coil package is a good buy to be able to prospect, hunt for coins and relics. It is very easy to operate and lightweight. Caution though the 10x5 High Freq coil, that comes with that package is not waterproof. There is a 6" High Freq coil available that is waterproof

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread