Weedeat a location?

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anybody here ever thought about weed-eating a public area to be able to detect it? I went to a new-to-me school this past weekend and one of the ball fields has a long stone wall that looks like it was built to be bleacher type seating. Unfortunately the weeds at the top and bottom of the wall make it difficult if not impossible to MD.

I'm thinking the next time I hit that school I might take my weed-eater and do some trimming first. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife got herself a rechargeable weed wacker, because I keep procrastinating getting my gas trimmer fixed. Yes, my wife does yard work, while I go beeping. I win. Your post has inspired me, she could prepare my hunting grounds...genius!

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 4 foot x 3 foot piece of 1/2 inch cdx exterior plywood pushes the weeds down if you have a hole drilled into and rope attached just drag it around the weeds no cutting required.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A 4 foot x 3 foot piece of 1/2 inch cdx exterior plywood pushes the weeds down if you have a hole drilled into and rope attached just drag it around the weeds no cutting required.

That is definitely worth a shot. (And sounds much easier!) The bottom section is pretty uneven so the board might not reach in all the nooks and crannys, but it should still get me close enough. Thanks for the suggestion!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some areas, doing something like that on public property is technically illegal. Check your local municipal codes to find out.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
In some areas, doing something like that on public property is technically illegal. Check your local municipal codes to find out.

Illegal to do a public service like that ? Heck, I'd think they'd pin a medal on you for great community behavior! I can't think of a municipal code anywhere in the USA that "forbids weed-wacking on public grounds". But perhaps you're thinking along the lines of "destroying vegetation" type verbage that might exist? No doubt such terms are there so that no one goes breaking tree limbs, harvesting the flowers in the park's garden for commercial sale, and otherwise destroying/harming vegetation meant to be there. So in THAT sense, I'm sure you could find something (or someone) to tell you "no". But ... . realistically ? Nah.

Example: Several neighbors in my neighborhood formed a neighborhood coalition (like a "neighborhood watch"). And one of the things we do, is to keep the toddler park clean. We take turns blowing it down with a back-pack blower, picking up the litter, etc..... Might we find something in municipal code that says we can't? I suppose. But does anyone care ? no. In fact, the city guys LOVE us when they come by. They even provided the blower we use.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell them your photographing stone structures as a hobby and you need to get a clearer shot of it. They won't think twice about that excuse for weed whacking the area as compared to wanting to detect it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread