coins

dustydan

Greenie
Jul 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello detectorist
I've been very curious as I read these posts and I have wondered " Where does one find the most silver and early coins" . It would seem to be older houses , but, I'm not really sure...How about it, where, are the oldest coins found....for that matter where are most coins found at....Take a poll and see where coins are at.... DustyDan:hello2:

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in the ground is where I find most of mine

OP
OP
D

dustydan

Greenie
Jul 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I guess I left that open...I found my coins around places that have had functions like county fairs, concerts (open air) and places where people have been gathering...and yes they were in the ground.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the land had people visiting or walking on it or crossing it at one time or another. The more people the better chance someone lost something.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman's response prompts me to add that after hunting an area that you hope will produce, don't turn off your detector. Hunt to and from your vehicle while moving to the hopefully hot spot as you just never know.
luvsdux

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman's response prompts me to add that after hunting an area that you hope will produce, don't turn off your detector. Hunt to and from your vehicle while moving to the hopefully hot spot as you just never know. luvsdux

I agree, I found a number of nice coins and rings dragging my coil to sites I planned to hunt.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry dustydan I could not resit the first respond to you. I find old maps and check for old place like a school, church or a old house. Then I try to get permission to hunt those places. I also look for old parks and then look for the biggest trees and hunt around them. As this would be will people would sit to have a picnic.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done my best in private yards. Bigger houses where a lot if kids grew up during the days silver was in use.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do best in private yards that were at least built pre 1950... the older the better...

OP
OP
D

dustydan

Greenie
Jul 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great responses, I often find most of my coins in or around front entrance..I guess people drop coins as they are taking out keys or something out of their pockets..I have also had luck at the back door...or the outhouse area...huuum...It would seem that persons would really watch their money back in the old days as even pennies were serious coinage..Today one can find pennies lying on the ground anywhere by just looking down...It seems they are a nuisance and are just thrown away casually..
Also a well is a good place to hunt change as people always rested around them... And Mlayers I had it coming.....Dusty

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything might turn up at random.But I would have to agree with you on old house sites,or anywhere close buy to them.If you can find out where a old tavern or post office was or anywhere where money exchanged hands ,give it hell!

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't find much in private single family yards. Just not enough people to drop the goods. Old parks, schools, picnic areas and other well visited sites by the public do better for me. Somewhere that many people have visited for years and years, the older the better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread