Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok Mr. biologist: how do you have corn snakes? I live in cornfield heaven and have never seen one in the wild.
All I see here are garter and rat snakes- I would love to have more varieties

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
course there is my pet boomslang-cobra

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We don't have any wild here, but they're a common pet for snake people

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only have natural caught pets

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to admit the Copperhead is a beautiful snake. We see lots of them here but made me realize I haven't seen one all year. Getting to hunt very little with work, but unusual. See a few Timber Rattlers, but about a 10 to 1 ratio or more with Copperheads being most common. I have never worried at all about being in the woods with them out. I just use caution to not step over logs and going down ledges. It's the ticks I hate.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Copperheads den up. They all come and go from and to their den on a schedule. I have personally seen a copperhead and I stopped and looked around and there were copperheads everywhere. i was between them and their den and they were waiting for me to leave to head back into their den which was a radio tower with a block building that had a poured concrete slap floor. The foundation had erroded and the snakes had a den under the building. If you see one , be cautious , there may be more right there looking at you !

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have lots of snakes here poisonous and non poisonous but I think the meanest is the common water snake. It looks a little like the copper head. Vicious bite. Gets to be about a fat 3 feet. I had one attached to my hand once. I caught it and was showing it off to some kids at a summer bass fishing camp we had for them. Had it behind the head and holding its body and when I went to toss it back in the water to let it go it reached around and grabbed my hand right as I released it. I of course went int a wild crazy dance flailing my arms with the snake attached the kids were screaming and running everywhere. I bled like a stuck pig. Those kids still say this is was one of their favorite memories from childhood :laughing7: We have lots of snake stories growing up in Tennessee. Be safe!

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have lots of snakes here poisonous and non poisonous but I think the meanest is the common water snake. It looks a little like the copper head. Vicious bite. Gets to be about a fat 3 feet. I had one attached to my hand once. I caught it and was showing it off to some kids at a summer bass fishing camp we had for them. Had it behind the head and holding its body and when I went to toss it back in the water to let it go it reached around and grabbed my hand right as I released it. I of course went int a wild crazy dance flailing my arms with the snake attached the kids were screaming and running everywhere. I bled like a stuck pig. Those kids still say this is was one of their favorite memories from childhood :laughing7: We have lots of snake stories growing up in Tennessee. Be safe!

They have an anticoagulant in their saliva! Makes their bite look way worse than it is!

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a biologist I have to speak up on this. THAT statement is entirely false, and speaks volumes about the amount of ignorance surrounding snakes in general. You're not the first person I've heard say this, unfortunately.

"Black snakes" (i.e. Black Rat Snakes, or less often, Black Racers -- 2 different but similar looking species) are oviparous...they lay eggs. Copperheads (and the rattlesnakes, for that matter) give birth to live young. These two reproductive strategies are COMPLETELY incompatible and it doesn't matter how many times they give it the ole "college try", they'd never, ever successfully reproduce. Don't believe me? The PA Fish and Boat Commission even addresses this on their website: Frequently asked questions - amphibians and reptiles

Also, South Park addresses species incompatibility in their episode "An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig"....having them cross breed is just as likely as the situation above: Link

I'm not a biologist, but I knew that statement wasn't true. I'm glad you set the record straight.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live/hunt in S. Korea. We have varieties of water snakes....easy to i.d., well rounded heads. And we have several poisonous ones, usually not large....less than a meter, and not too thick. The poisonous ones are always thicker than the non-p.
I was in the hills, close to the China Sea a couple of years ago. My partner shouted, "Look at that snake!!!" It was about one and one/half meters long. Thick as my forearm. I took it to be in the family of pythons or constrictors. But my bro.-in-law i.d.ed it, told me the name, and said it was a poisonous one. I don't like snakes, but this guy was beautiful. Light brown and yellow/dark yellow pattern. He knew we were there, but did not get nervous at all. And we didn't bother him. I'm of the same opinion as most I'm reading here: I'm in the snake's home area.....let them alone, unless they are extremely close to a village where a kid can become a victim.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
true story: Last week a buddy of mine took a full hit in the back of his hand while moving a hay bale. He didnt see the copperhead until after the bite. said it felt like he got hit by a hammer when it struck. His hand swelled up like a softball and his arm was pretty swollen also. Farmer, tough as nails, never even went to the hospital. Swelling receded after about four days. He said the first couple days he had a lot of pain but it subsided. (I would have at least went to the ER.) plenty of them in our area, we see them basking on rocks all the time. Pretty docile for the most part, but startled unexpectedly the use what they got. Theres a spot were we fish with lots of rip rap that they like. (lotsa mice) we've seen as many as twenty laying around. as an added note: i know the difference between copperheads and water snakes, often mistaken here in PA. Anyone who's spent any serious time in the western PA woods has been closer to a copperhead then they'll ever know.

I had never heard a black snake would eat a copperhead. I have a picture somewhere of a black snake i caught 9' 4".

As OP said, just keep a look out, dont want to see anyone take a hit like my buddy did.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I see a poisonous snake, I kill it...I wasn't going to say anything because people will say Im wrong and ignorant. But what the heck, enlighten a dumb redneck...who knows maybe Ill go kiss a rattler when yall get through with me. :laughing7:

Last edited:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No snake hugger here either, got popped by a Japanese hornet last week next to a hollow black walnut tree. Think I'll go back to that tree this week and try to make friends with them lol.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Poisonous snakes get the 38 special around here. Period.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. No cross breading there. I have a picture somewhere I took of a pile of copper heads trying to mate a female The snake you do want around is the King snake. It will eat other snakes and is immune from the bite. They like a black snake and rattler will beat their tail when annoyed.

Speaking of which I jumped off the mower today and caught and released this King Snake. Pretty good size.

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.JPG

kromar3336

Mar 15, 2015
Pgh Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to a few timber rattler dens in order to photograph them. Should have been bit a few times almost stepping on them but lucked out. After 20 years of being lucky I bought chaps. Since taking up MDing I haven't had time to look for rattlers. I'll wear the chaps while detecting just in case lol.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
We have these in Florida. This one is 9'6" with two inch fangs and 22 rattles.

Attachments

• 9'6%22, 22 rattles, 2-1:2%22 fangs.jpg
    9'6%22, 22 rattles, 2-1:2%22 fangs.jpg
    814.4 KB · Views: 98

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have these in Florida. This one is 9'6" with two inch fangs and 22 rattles.
Now that would make me wet my pants if I walk up on it coiled..... Rattle snake strike range is usually 1/3 - 1/2 of its length so that beast could hit you 3-4.5+ feet away at least.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread