Upvote 0

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I see a poisonous snake, I kill it...I wasn't going to say anything because people will say Im wrong and ignorant. But what the heck, enlighten a dumb redneck...who knows maybe Ill go kiss a rattler when yall get through with me. :laughing7:

I'll enlighten you: https://www.google.com/search?q=sna...ChMIy8jO46ONxgIVzhCSCh2rCwmE&biw=1280&bih=571

They're like landmines. Step on one and it goes off. I kill every poisonous snake that I see on my property. Next time I might not be so lucky and step on one and get bit. Why anyone would want moving landmines on there property is beyond me. I guess if there were dinosaurs still around, there would be people saying leave them be, they serve a purpose. Yeah ripping you apart and eating you! I let the non-poisonous snakes alone. I love those king snakes.

tabman

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have these in Florida. This one is 9'6" with two inch fangs and 22 rattles.

I have often seen the older bigger rattle snakes and they have lost their rattles or been broken off. I once had to kill a monster timber rattler (4' +) that was staying on my steps at the cabin. Took me forever to get him as would go under the porch every time I pulled up. He did not have any fangs at all. Point is the big ones scare you but the little ones are the ones that will hurt you.

About that giant snake e-mail you get read below.

Living Alongside Wildlife: About That Giant Dead Rattlesnake E-mail You Got...

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is another reason I love salt water beach hunting...
We have these in Florida. This one is 9'6" with two inch fangs and 22 rattles.

S

stefen

Shuckens...y'all mean its a BS snake? And BS doesn't mean BIG SNAKE...:laughing7:

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok Mr. biologist: how do you have corn snakes? I live in cornfield heaven and have never seen one in the wild.
All I see here are garter and rat snakes- I would love to have more varieties

How do you have corn snakes? Gee I dunno.... With milk and sugar? Toast and bacon?

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes... Let us be so careful we get close ups of the rattlesnake! Lol!!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
trpnbils...

I live in so cal mts with the mojave desert down the mtn on backside.we have mojave green rattlers.I have had a number of them in my yard(I think mojave greens)
question...at nearly 8000 ft elev are these mojave greens or other(they are nearly black)

2nd question...are they(mojaves)so very dangerous because they are more likely to bite or more potent when they do?
I have noticed they are super aggressive.
thanks

Tesorohunter

Mar 22, 2015
N.C
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are u in N.C, copperheads are raining in my area

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see this thread from last year has been bumped so I'll add my two cents.

I got a really cool Copperhead story.

When my son was about 5 we were away for the weekend and staying in some travel trailers we used to keep parked all year round in a private campground (it was a great place). The kids were out playing early in the morning and my son yelled, " Hey Dad I got a snake".

I walked out and under his foot (pinned down, directly behind the neck like I taught him) was a Copperhead. It wasn't a real big one; maybe 18- 20" or so.

I told him not to dare move until I told him to. He listened. I grabbed a shovel and when I counted to three he jumped back and I took that snake's head right off in one fell swoop.

Normally I wouldn't have killed it. I have a rule that I don't kill anything unless I intend to eat it (yes, that includes insects and other vermin). But, with 4 little kids running around the campground, Copperhead's just aren't a good thing to knowingly keep around.

I was very relieved that nobody was bitten by that thing. A bite from that kind of snake can kill a child easily, not to mention adults.

So yeah, it's snake season again and we have to be aware when hunting.. We've already caught two black snakes in the building I work in. They were both coming out of hibernation back in early May. Our building sits in the middle of about 800 acres of fields and woods so there are all kinds of critters runnin' around. You name it, we have it; deer, raccoon, fox, Red Tailed Hawks and even a Bald Eagle or two. And yes, plenty of snakes.

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
I took this photograph in northern California on a Mt. Diablo fire road trail.
Hikers were walking right by him and he stayed very quiet.
Then he stuck out his tongue to let us know what he thought of us.

post_diablorattler.jpg

Another hiker asked what kind of snake he was.

:)

Last edited:

ALDEEZ777

Jul 14, 2014
Davenport, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well here's one from my last outing at grandparents. Little 4 to 4 1/2 foot timber rattler.

Attachments

• 1435678584071.jpg
    1435678584071.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 1435678636567.jpg
    1435678636567.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 97

kromar3336

Mar 15, 2015
Pgh Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two hours this weekend in Pa it didn't rain I found a musket ball and an 1903 Indian head. I did wear my snake chaps since the rattlers are on the move.

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a question for TrpnBils since he obviously knows his critters. I live in the Rockies. Can I expect to see vipers above 8500 MSL?
I just got some snake boots and I feel better regardless.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think out of the rattlers the timber has to be the best looking.
My great aunt went to her garden with a large glass bowl to pick strawberries for us. She kneeled down and everytime she put some berries in the bowl the bowl would ring loudly, a few times more of this and she finally stopped to investigate. When she placed her hand in the bowl a 7' 18 button rattlesnake who was nearby would strike at her hand and hit the bowl. She calmly went to the shed and got her hoe and went back to the snake and removed it's head. She brought it back for us all to see. That thing was as big around as a man's arm, absolutely huge. My aunt was in her 80's when she did this, tough woman I tell you she didn't break a sweat over it.

ALDEEZ777

Jul 14, 2014
Davenport, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think out of the rattlers the timber has to be the best looking.
My great aunt went to her garden with a large glass bowl to pick strawberries for us. She kneeled down and everytime she put some berries in the bowl the bowl would ring loudly, a few times more of this and she finally stopped to investigate. When she placed her hand in the bowl a 7' 18 button rattlesnake who was nearby would strike at her hand and hit the bowl. She calmly went to the shed and got her hoe and went back to the snake and removed it's head. She brought it back for us all to see. That thing was as big around as a man's arm, absolutely huge. My aunt was in her 80's when she did this, tough woman I tell you she didn't break a sweat over it.

I agree bzbadger. Here's one the land owner of 87yo wanted gone for good. And when you have 200+ acres and a family member your the boss. I myself would have let it thin the rodents out. lol

Attachments

• 1435755497330.jpg
    1435755497330.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 96

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I introduced a cotton mouth to my 16 gauge earlier this year. I live on the water and this guy kept sunbathing on my deck. I ran him off for a few days. Then I had to load some bird shot and handle business. I have Yorkies...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread