Picked up a very inexpensive Cen-Tech pinpointer- Comments/Questions??

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I ran across an old thread yesterday regarding the Cen-Tech hand held "metal detector" from Harbor Freight Tools. I called them and they had 5 on the shelf at 17.99. Apparently, at the time the original thread was written there was a 2 month wait. I don't think that's a problem anymore/

Here's the original thread. I tried to bump it but it didn't bump:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tool-shed/82722-inexpensive-hand-held-pinpointer.html

There's a good thorough description, a picture and the specs in the OP.

Anyway, I got this thing, put the battery in (single 9volt) and gave it a quick test in my car. It definitely works, I can say that much. It has a sensitivity adjustment and a built in light that's kinda' cool IMO.

It looks a bit cheesy (because it is cheesy) but I ran across a few YouTube videos and a few more threads on this site that show how to modify it into a fairly decent pinpointer for just a few bucks and a little time.

Apparently, the switch is the weakest link in the device but that can be easily replaced. Also, the probe is bolted through the device with a simple small nut. I'm thinking a lock washer or some Loctite (or both) will hold that thing in place for a while. (super glue makes an excellent substitute for Loctite BTW). It's also not waterproof but that shouldn't be too big an obstacle to correct.

Tomorrow I'll test it on some real digs and see how it does. If it's really bad I'm only out about 18 bucks but I'm sure I'll get some use out of it before I use up my moneys worth anyway.

I stopped in Bass Pro Shops last Saturday morning after picking up my latest detector and they only had the Bounty Hunter pinpointer with a price tag of 69.99. You can get them online for around 35.00 any time.

So, I figured I would try this thing out in the meantime and see how it does. I just thought I would pass this info on to any newbies like myself who haven't heard of this device. And of course, if you don't have a Harbor freight store in your area you can buy them online from the company website.

I swear, that place is like the Dollar store of tools but they do have lots of unusual stuff at really low prices. I couldn't even get anyone to help me find the darn thing because there was no one there TO help me. It took me about 15 minutes and then another 15 waiting in the ONE checkout line that was open. Overall, I'm thinkin' it was worth the wait. That may change once I form a solid opinion on this device.

I do think that this thing is perfect for kids or those who are just learning the hobby. Plus if a kid (or anyone else) loses interest you're still not out any significant money.

Any comments or critiques are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still use mine, had it now almost 2 years..reason I don't upgrade is I rarely need one..I grew up with a probe so finding anything with one is easy to me. Only the little BB type items elude me. The switch needs cleaned every few months. It consists of a spring loaded tiny metal dogbone that contacts 2 copper bars inside the switch. If you grab hold of the red button you can pull it off and clean the bar and contacts inside and it is good for another 6 months, or just replace the switch as a normal person would.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I understand it, they're not the "end all" in pinpointers, but server pretty well considering the price.
luvsdux

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all you got is $16 they beep when the get real close to a coin. Sort of the yugo of the pinpointers.. Yes I have one, have not touched it since it was replaced with a more professional tool

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides the negative opinion I have of the pin pointer, What bothers me the most is it's made in China, like a lot of the other stuff at Harbor Freight. I just would rather not buy any more bullets for them to aim at us. Admittedly, that isn't all that easy at times....and in some cases, impossible. Thankfully, there are a plenty of good choices for pin pointers, so, the made in China stuff is last on my list, regardless of quality.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I tried out the Cen-Tech pinpointer this evening. For 17.99 it works pretty well. I didn't find anything great (oldest coin was a 1960 nickel) but it sure helps narrow down the search. I went to an elementary school this evening to practice with my new BH 202. I've barely used it but so far I'm really liking what it's doing.

I hit the tot lot just before dark and i have to say, in that environment, a pinpointer is a Godsend. I hunted 'til dark and the little built in flashlight really helped. I came home with a nice pocket full of clad as usual.

I have noticed that the more I learn the less dirty I get. When I started I would come home absolutely filthy. The pinpointer helps a great deal as far as that goes.

I can see using this thing and eventually modifying it to make it better. Then, I'll probably get something better after I've found more treasures to pay for it (or so I hope). But for now, I think it's okay for the little bit of cash I have invested. I'm also going to recommend it to a kid I know who has just gotten into detecting and is short on cash. It'll be perfect for him to use and to hone his new found skills with.

So I guess I'll give it about a B- because it's just not really well made IMO. If it breaks really fast I'll downgrade it.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See you in about 8 hours of use if your lucky!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See you in about 8 hours of use if your lucky!

We shall see.

I think that with a little modification I can make it last a while. The key components are there and they actually work. They're just not put together very well.

This is actually the first pinpointer I have ever used so I really have nothing to compare it to.

But again, we'll see.

Last edited:

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite cen-tech mod- place it under the tire of your vehicle, select a gear and drive away.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite cen-tech mod- place it under the tire of your vehicle, select a gear and drive away.

Dang, I'm beginning to think that maybe I should have kept quiet about my awesome purchase.

gulfcoaster

May 11, 2014
Pensacola, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, White's Bullseye TRX, Stealth Classic 8" Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least it's cheaper than the Bounty Hunter/Accu-find pin pointer, although not quite as sturdy. It's not bad for a first pp, but you'll likely want more depth and features pretty soon.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, I'm beginning to think that maybe I should have kept quiet about my awesome purchase.

LoL, seriously though to each his own.
Myself personally I had no luck with cen-tech. Tried one early on in my md'ing career and it had a thermal issue, when it was warm outside it would go bizzerk, throw it in the freezer for a few minutes and it would work for just a little while.
Who has time/patience for that right?!
Now, I'm sure some tech savvy individual could solder in a "thinga majiggy" to solve the issue but not this ol cat.
Got approximately 30 minutes of hunt time out of the one I bought.
Best of Luck and HH!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LoL, seriously though to each his own.
Myself personally I had no luck with cen-tech. Tried one early on in my md'ing career and it had a thermal issue, when it was warm outside it would go bizzerk, throw it in the freezer for a few minutes and it would work for just a little while.
Who has time/patience for that right?!
Now, I'm sure some tech savvy individual could solder in a "thinga majiggy" to solve the issue but not this ol cat.
Got approximately 30 minutes of hunt time out of the one I bought.
Best of Luck and HH!

Thanks for the warning.

UPDATE: I've beaten the 30 minute mark anyway. I have about 4 hours on it and it's still going strong.
(and they said it wouldn't last)

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is always the possibility of carrying spare batteries. :laughing7:

Maybe a cen tech, modified and waterproofed, would be a fair backup to a Minelab or Garret pointer? Just saying, because THers are an inventive bunch.

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another you you may want to do is glue a rubber cap on the tip..I bought a vacuum cap from a local auto parts store, they are fairly tin but enough to protect the tip from jabbing and swiping..I did notice I was getting wear on the tip before I did this. Also if the detector shaft gets loose tighten it right away, I don't recall if you need to open it up to do it but it is the screw lower center on the unit. They are easy to crack open if you need to..I am still on my original battery, 2 years now and I check it from time to time, think it was 8.40 volts last time and not even an alkaline just a regular heavy duty type.
I think the quality is hit and miss..after having mine so long I went to the store to pick up another just in case, I put a new battery in and it didn't detect metal, LED lit but no sound..I took it back and brought a battery and right there in the store tried each one of the 5 they had on the shelf..none of them worked.
Since then I found there is a tiny blue screw inside that is the tuning and if turned will (or should) get them working again.
By the way, the glue I used to glue the cap on so it stays on is E6000, it is an all weather glue that will not fail, least hasn't failed me yet and get a cap that is thin so you can get the tip through the hole in the holster, mine was a little tight at first but slips right in now.
If it works it works, Like I said I rarely use mine, maybe 1 in 20 targets I`ll use it but it is a time saver for those tough ones.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one thrown in on a deal. Seems to work ok. Nothing spectacular. Very basic. With a little modding I'm sure it can be improved. Will it be a Garrett or Minelabs? No. But the. It was never meant to be.

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one for kicks and it's definitely better than nothing. I have read people having issues with it either constantly sounding or not sounding at all depending on how hot it is out. The adjustment pot inside the box sets the threshold depending on the ambient temperature. I drilled a hole in the box just above the screw so when the weather changes I can re-adjust it quickly and go.

Oh and when the switch acts up, it's usually just dirty. Spray some air or squirt a little rubbing alchohol in there and you're good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got one for kicks and it's definitely better than nothing. I have read people having issues with it either constantly sounding or not sounding at all depending on how hot it is out. The adjustment pot inside the box sets the threshold depending on the ambient temperature. I drilled a hole in the box just above the screw so when the weather changes I can re-adjust it quickly and go.

Oh and when the switch acts up, it's usually just dirty. Spray some air or squirt a little rubbing alchohol in there and you're good.

Thanks for the tips.
I used mine all day today and so far, so good.

The sensitivity adjustment on that thing is pretty touchy but it's still working so far. I have about 12 hours on it so far and it's still going strong. I did notice when it got really hot today I had to back the adjustment way down. When the sun went down and it cooled down a bit I had to turn it about halfway. It's definitely a bit unstable.

I'm definitely going to modify it within a week or two. It'll be like a project. I want to see how good I can make it and how long I can make it last just for the fun of it. That switch will probably be the first thing to go.

I have to say one thing, it definitely makes hunting easier and much neater regardless of the quality. Like someone above mentioned, it's not a high quality device and it's not meant to be. It is what it is.

Thanks again. My cash flow has been a bit low because this is my slow season, so I was glad to find this thing at such a low price. It was the right thing for this particular time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can get the tip through the hole in the holster, mine was a little tight at first but slips right in now.
If it works it works, Like I said I rarely use mine, maybe 1 in 20 targets I`ll use it but it is a time saver for those tough ones.

Thanks for the great info.

I've already enlarged the hole on the holster after my first day of usage. It's just too tight a fit and a pain in the neck to get back in when you're trying to hunt treasure. Before I enlarged the hole I was just putting it in my front pocket out of frustration. With the larger hole it slides right in without having to even look at it.

Last edited:

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did notice when it got really hot today I had to back the adjustment way down.

Yes at some point the temperature change will probably go beyond the range of the external knob and you will have to adjust the internal pot. The pot seems to be a course adjustment and the knob a fine adjustment. I set the knob close to it's center of travel and turn the pot just till it stops sounding. Only takes a few seconds with a hole drilled in it. I keep a piece of tape over the hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread