Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Need some advice researching pre-1850's sites

I live in one of the oldest parts of the country, so I know they're around. My first goal of the year was ending my silver drought, and my second goal (still yet to be met) is big copper. Lately I've been door knocking quite a bit and having good success at it, but the problem is I can pretty much only find sites that are so old with this method. I have one house I've worked on and off that was built in 1799 and still standing (still inhabited, actually) but even that's a rarity.

So let's say I wanted to go older and look for colonial era sites...or let's make it more broad even, they stopped minting large cents in the late 1850's, so let's say I'm looking for anywhere prior to that. I dug one colonial coin last year by accident, but that was a fluke and I've been back there at least a dozen times (it's on the grounds of a school built just a couple of years ago) with nothing else old to show for it aside from a couple of Minie balls. Next oldest coin is late 1800s... Since the vast majority of those sites are gone, bulldozed, and/or paved over, what's an effective way to research such sites? I've found maps of the township I grew up in back to the 1860s, but that's hours from here and I can't find anything detailed enough to use around where I live now. It seems the best I can do in that regard is a county map with a few towns plotted out on it.

Where do you all suggest I start?

Upvote 0

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a good bit of information on the old sites here believe it or not by simply googling old homes for sale, washington county texas! Or break it down to brenham, independence, dimebox, gay hill, whatever little town in that has currently caught my eye. Download google earth, learn how to use it well it will be your best friend in finding old sites and taking a peek at them before you go. I will sometimes just look up historical districts and that will usually come up with something as well

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give me a few counties you are interested in, and I'll see what I can find.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give me a few counties you are interested in, and I'll see what I can find.

Looks like you're in about the same area I'm in...I'm over in Morgan County, WV but I go to all of the surrounding counties from Virginia up through PA.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread